Make it slingbox

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

spotslayer

Make it slingbox

Post by spotslayer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:05 am

Hi all, I have been looking at trying to use my mythbox like a slingbox. I have googled several ways to to this. I would like info/ideas from this community. What methods are being used by the group? What about streaming to my android phone?

David :)

spotslayer

Re: Make it slingbox

Post by spotslayer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:36 am

No input? :shock:

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:57 am

I tried using the flash stream that's in Mythweb on my Nexus One but it could not play the files. I would recommend trying something with VLC streaming. This was the method used to play non mpeg2 files (xvid, divx, etc) on my old Hauppauge MVP thin client.
Ego contemno licentia

marc

Post by marc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

Pat, how did that mvp transcoding work out for you? Do you think it would be reasonable to consider breaking out my old mvps collecting dust and use them to view content recorded in by my HD sources (HDHR & HDPVR).

I would use them on a couple of remaining Analog sets. (Kids room and Kitchen).

Seems like it would require a quad or beyond multi-core to be possible for two streams and still have oomph to run the backend for commercial detection and other myth management.

Does mvpmc even work with .23 myth?

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

marc wrote:Pat, how did that mvp transcoding work out for you? Do you think it would be reasonable to consider breaking out my old mvps collecting dust and use them to view content recorded in by my HD sources (HDHR & HDPVR).
MediaMVP only does SD mpeg2. Not doable unless you re-encode your HD recordings to SD
marc wrote:Does mvpmc even work with .23 myth?
As fas as I know it doesn't work with .23. The device is old and not worth the effort when you can get a refurbished Acer Revo for around $170

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... _421383603
Ego contemno licentia

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:02 am

Hey,

Here my blog post on getting VLC video streaming to my Android Nexus One.

http://platechnotes.patrickarchibald.co ... s-one.html

I haven't got it working with an HD file yet. Let me know if do.

Rock on, PLA

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 am

PLA, Which distrubution are you using?

D

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 am

spotslayer wrote:PLA, Which distrubution are you using?

D
I use MythTV 0.23 on Ubuntu 10.04.

The VLC streaming is outside of MythTV. It should work with any recording. I haven't played with it much. I just got it working before work this morning.

Rock on, PLA

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 am

I don't plan on getting a Slingbox but they just released an Android app for it.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/android

Rock on, PLA

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am

I tried out Android SlingPlayer on my friend's SlingBox with my NexusOne. Works great. I like the Android Market 24hr refund policy. I'm deleting the SlingPlayer now.

Rock on, PLA

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:00 pm

pla wrote:Hey,

Here my blog post on getting VLC video streaming to my Android Nexus One.

http://platechnotes.patrickarchibald.co ... s-one.html

I haven't got it working with an HD file yet. Let me know if do.

Rock on, PLA
Pretty cool PLA! I will sure work on that aspect. I was more looking for a way to use mythbox as a slingbox. I wanted to stream tv to a laptop, the phone was kind of an afterthought. I have seen a plugin to stream tv but it is not an official one. I depend on my mythtv so much now that I don't want to blaze any trails I don't have to. I was hoping someone in this community would have tried it or something equivalent so I could become enlightened.

Hey PLA wasn't 'Hot in Cleveland' a funny show. It is on my record list now. I ROFL laughing at it.

David :D :D

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:18 pm

spotslayer wrote: Pretty cool PLA! I will sure work on that aspect. I was more looking for a way to use mythbox as a slingbox. I wanted to stream tv to a laptop, the phone was kind of an afterthought. I have seen a plugin to stream tv but it is not an official one. I depend on my mythtv so much now that I don't want to blaze any trails I don't have to. I was hoping someone in this community would have tried it or something equivalent so I could become enlightened.

Hey PLA wasn't 'Hot in Cleveland' a funny show. It is on my record list now. I ROFL laughing at it.

Why not install MythTV frontend on your laptop? If it is non-Linux you could dual-boot.

"Hot in Cleveland" was a hoot. Betty White is a trip.

Rock on, PLA

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:23 pm

pla wrote:
spotslayer wrote: Pretty cool PLA! I will sure work on that aspect. I was more looking for a way to use mythbox as a slingbox. I wanted to stream tv to a laptop, the phone was kind of an afterthought. I have seen a plugin to stream tv but it is not an official one. I depend on my mythtv so much now that I don't want to blaze any trails I don't have to. I was hoping someone in this community would have tried it or something equivalent so I could become enlightened.

Why not install MythTV frontend on your laptop? If it is non-Linux you could dual-boot.

"Hot in Cleveland" was a hoot. Betty White is a trip.

Rock on, PLA
I want to use it when I am on the road. I have a dnydns url. Will it work using something like that instead of an IP address? I already have it installed on my laptop but have only used it inside my own subnet using the LAN ip. I guess I could just give it a shot nest time I am out and about using the URL.

D

pla

Post by pla » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm

spotslayer wrote:
I want to use it when I am on the road. I have a dnydns url. Will it work using something like that instead of an IP address? I already have it installed on my laptop but have only used it inside my own subnet using the LAN ip. I guess I could just give it a shot nest time I am out and about using the URL.

D
MythTV is not going to work over the Internet. You should be able to get VLC to stream over the Internet. Of course you need to have a decent upload speed at your home. I have DSL and my upload speed stinks. I'll never be able to stream from my house with DSL.

Rock on, PLA

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:40 am

That was my understanding. This is the module that I have been looking into.

http://mythstreamtv.sourceforge.net/

I may have to blaze this trail and see where it takes me.

D