Episode 17 - Trippy Line

Feel free to post any comments or rants about Linux Void podcast here.

Moderator: linuxvoidadmin

timttmy

Episode 17 - Trippy Line

Post by timttmy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 am

I grabbed the .ogg last night, and I must say you guys are sounding great. I guess Arch likes your new microphone Gregor :lol:
This is my truth, now tell me yours.

dpkgregor

Re: Episode 17 - Trippy Line

Post by dpkgregor » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 pm

The ogg's good I just had some trouble exporting the mp3.

It's Peter's turn for production, we'll see how it goes :)

NYbill

Post by NYbill » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:50 pm

i just listened to 2 LV in a row. i'm not sure which episode you mentioned this in...

but, did you get that PDA, gregor? are you going to try and put linux on it? if so, let us know how it goes and what type of linux you tried. i have an aging PDA here that linux could probably bring some new life to.

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:25 am

I think i already mentioned it - well, my greatest fear has realized - this Dell has some kind of WMobile restore function so when I flash the storage device it just comes back -__-

I gave up and gave it back so...

NYbill

Post by NYbill » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:31 am

dpkgregor wrote:I think i already mentioned it - well, my greatest fear has realized - this Dell has some kind of WMobile restore function so when I flash the storage device it just comes back -__-

oh, i thought you hadn't picked up the unit yet. maybe you mentioned you where picking it up in 16? could be i haven't heard 17 yet. could be i'm confused. it happens often. :wink:

yea, Dell, they are sneaky! sticking extra stuff on drives, making there hardware just different enough so you can't swap hardware with off the shelf parts.

we are on the 3rd power supply in one of our Dell desktops. a $20 off the shelf power supply won't fit in the case. and Dell power supplies are like $60! so i got a ATX case with a power supply. after removing all the guts from the Dell, i found a Dell motherboard won't fit in a standard ATX case! so i put it all back in the Dell case and butchered the back of the case with tin snips. the after market power supply fits now. :D

well, we have an old Ipaq PDA here we never use. i was kicking around the idea of putting Linux on it. i'll see how it goes.

NYbill

Post by NYbill » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm

yep, i hadn't heard 17. just heard it today. and yes you must have mentioned it all in 16. and i am confused. but, i'm used to it. :wink:

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:37 am

Still, Dell makes quality gadgets :)

NYbill

Post by NYbill » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:40 pm

dpkgregor wrote:Still, Dell makes quality gadgets :)
yes, i have to agree with you there. Dell stuff is usually good quality gear. my wife is still using my old Dell laptop i bought about 7 years ago. the thing won't die!

i always built my desktops. the Dell i had so much trouble with is the wifes. the problem with that system, i believe, was that the Dell 350w power supply was too small. it kept burning them up.

i had Ubuntu on the old laptop when she started using it. it took her a little getting used to. but now, i never see her boot that Dell XP desktop
anymore. :D

i believe Dell closed its manufacturing plant and is now outsourcing the manufacture of their systems. i hope the quality doesn't suffer.

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:39 am

Me too. Though it's still going to be the same management in the top ranks, so I hope it will pass some kind of quality check :)

eddie

Post by eddie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:57 pm

NYbill wrote:
dpkgregor wrote:I think i already mentioned it - well, my greatest fear has realized - this Dell has some kind of WMobile restore function so when I flash the storage device it just comes back -__-

oh, i thought you hadn't picked up the unit yet. maybe you mentioned you where picking it up in 16? could be i haven't heard 17 yet. could be i'm confused. it happens often. :wink:

yea, Dell, they are sneaky! sticking extra stuff on drives, making there hardware just different enough so you can't swap hardware with off the shelf parts.

we are on the 3rd power supply in one of our Dell desktops. a $20 off the shelf power supply won't fit in the case. and Dell power supplies are like $60! so i got a ATX case with a power supply. after removing all the guts from the Dell, i found a Dell motherboard won't fit in a standard ATX case! so i put it all back in the Dell case and butchered the back of the case with tin snips. the after market power supply fits now. :D

well, we have an old Ipaq PDA here we never use. i was kicking around the idea of putting Linux on it. i'll see how it goes.
Be real careful with power supplies. According to my brother who teaches computer hardware installs, at least Gateway has allegedly been known to swap connections on the atx connector thereby causing all sorts of problems including dusting ps's and mb's if you did not use all gateway parts. As for Dell, I still have close to 1en of the old brown dell gx110 and gx1 series. and a blade server of that era. They all still run. I bought a used black case based dell and it worked only a short time. I stripped it for parts and chunked the rest. I should have know better than to purchase that machine. I can not tell you how many of the gx240 and above motherboards ps's, and hd's we had to change out where I used to work. Will thousand's do? I would not own a newer dell unless I acquired it for free. Actually the last few dell gx110's were free that I picked up from hal-pc. Not only did dell laptop suffer from exploding batteries, their servers were known to catch fire. All documented in the media. We had to replace one or two for safety's sake. Dell allegedly excelled at planned obsolescence. I can not tell you how many systems failed within 24 hours of the warranty expiration. If something was close to the end of it's warranty, we automatically called support to get replacement parts. It is amazing that Dell kept this all under wraps. Anything they do not make themselves is usually ok. Maybe and I say maybe these issues have been addressed. I do know that Dell was looking for many engineers a while back after the original fiasco. Packard Hell and Emachine computers allegedly set the standard for crappy workmanship. Gateway in Europe uses their machines. .

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 am

I read in a computer magazine a few years ago someone's PCPlus power supply burned his first machine and then he tested it with his friends comp and burned that too.

People do strange things :lol:

eddie

Post by eddie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

You can get a ps tester for around ten to twenty bucks. cheaper than blowing a motherboard.