Episode 19

Feel free to post any comments or rants about Linux Void podcast here.

Moderator: linuxvoidadmin

dpkgregor

Episode 19

Post by dpkgregor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:07 pm

is out. You know where you can get it.
Feed's still not refreshing. Weird stuff.

timttmy

Re: Episode 19

Post by timttmy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 am

My feed works fine (ogg), but it's time you guys added a favicon as you look kind of bare :shock: in my feedreader.
This is my truth, now tell me yours.

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 am

timttmy wrote:My feed works fine (ogg), but it's time you guys added a favicon as you look kind of bare :shock: in my feedreader.
We DO have a favicon and it works, but the ogg feed is hosted and maintained by morten on a separate WP install. That means Morten has to get a favicon on which is hard, because most of the time the favicon takes over other domains too :| You can ask him though :)

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:02 pm

ogg's up!

mjjzf

Post by mjjzf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:04 am

Would just like to add a couple of comments, since I was the one who pointed you to Lunar Linux -
You mentioned the lin command - short for 'Lunar install' - but there are a couple of other interesting things -
Once you use that command, it doesn't just build based on preset compile flags - it actually asks:

The lvu command can be used to search for a package - and to get an explanation of how it works:

In the settings section - also an Ncurses kind of thing - you can actually pre-select your preferred licenses, which I found really elegant:

In the same place, you can set up services in a very easy interface:

These distribution-specific features are some of what makes Lunar interesting to me. It has a way of being advanced without being complicated that I really respect.
It has indeed been a long time since the last release, and for a while, there was some concern that it was done in, like with Wolvix. But Lunar came through. Good stuff.

As for the favicon... yes, I was thinking about that. Just never got around to looking into it.

mjjzf

Post by mjjzf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:07 am

Which reminds me: I am considering stylesheet'ing the RSS feed instead of maintaining the WP page. It really amounts to doing everything twice.
Will be done At Some Point (tm).

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Cool, more material for ep20.
We'll be recording it tomorrow, if all goes well

mjjzf

Post by mjjzf » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 am

Maybe you'll consider discussing Linus' position on multiple distributions - I found that a very good comment (possibly because it intersects with my own opinions).
Also, if you record before the poll closes on 12th of February, consider mentioning the LinuxQuestions.org Members' Choice Awards 2008.

dpkgregor

Post by dpkgregor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:27 am

We had a lot of stuff to talk about when we did no. 20, but I'll write this down thanks!