Patrick
Site Admin

Episode 23 - Dan's plans

Post by Patrick » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:04 am

Ego contemno licentia

lobosolo

Re: Episode 23 - Dan's plans

Post by lobosolo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Dans app sounds awesome, one thing i didn't understand. is it going to be an ap to stream or to save the video to the phone or both ?

pla

Post by pla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Hey,

Another great episode guys. I'm playing around with the "secret sauce" using the Myth XML Test web app. Thanks Dan.

On my system I created this symbolic link.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/development/MythXMLTest /var/www/MythXMLTest
I then accessed the app at http://localhost/MythXMLTest/index.html on my backend.

Rock on, PLA
MythXMLText.png
MythXMLText.png (208.49 KiB) Viewed 5523 times

perato

Post by perato » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Other media streaming software for linux include:

PS3mediaserver (written in java)
Mediatomb (partially alive project)
FUPPES (might be a dead project)

PS3mediaserver works fairly well. It does transcoding but sometimes it does not work since the PS3 is extremely picky about what it will accept and play. You can probably copy some of their code and use it in your Android program. If your code works better, perhaps you can post about it on the PS3mediaserver forum.
Desktop PC: AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1 GiB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS video card; Archlinux
MythTV PC: Intel Celeron E3300, 4 GiB RAM, ATI X550 video card, Hauppauge HVR-2250; Archlinux+MythTV v0.25

wsuetholz

Post by wsuetholz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello,
I was just catching up on your cast's, and when listening to "Dan's plans" I thought that it might be nice if on the backend side you looked into something I've been using with my Maemo based Nokia N900. It's called "Knots2" http://www.maemonokian900.com/meamo-downloads/knots-2/. The server side started from Mediatomb, which allows for easy defining different target codecs for the clients, and then he used VLC server mode to convert the output on the fly. He also in his client (written in Ruby) allows for you to pause/rw/ff the stream on the fly.
It does integrate with MythTV, but by creating another database. It works fairly well, and sounds almost identical to what you were talking about, but if it was integrated into the backend, it would allow for a wider range of frontends.. Like my old Hauppauge MVP's that do Mpeg2 640x480, which croak on anything else..