Episode 27 - MythTV 0.24

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

Patrick
Site Admin

Episode 27 - MythTV 0.24

Post by Patrick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 pm

MythTV developer joins us to give us a rundown of what's new in MythTV 0.24. Dan has a rant about the HTPC Centric podcast's poor attitude towards Linux. Happy Thanksgiving:
http://tlltsarchive.org/archives/MythTV ... sode27.ogg

Music:
"Foliada de Berducido". A medieval Galician (from northern Spain) bagpipe song. You can get the track from here:
http://www.larkcamp.com/LarkLibrary/Gal ... licia.html
Ego contemno licentia

kwisher

Re: Episode 27 - MythTV 0.24

Post by kwisher » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Great show with a lot of enthusiasm from the guest. It's great to hear about the activity the MythTV dev's are doing to keep MythTV updated and working great.

Question to all:
Has anyone made the jump to .24 yet? I am considering enabling the .24 repo's tomorrow while the family is out shopping. I am currently running .23+fixes with Ubuntu 10.04.

pla

Post by pla » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Great episode. Lots of goodness coming to the already great MythTV. Looking forward to experiencing it all.

The ability to record in multiple formats really sounds neat but to me finding one format that will play on every device would be the optimal solution.

I thought Robert McNamara's comments about Windows developers contributing to MythTV were spot on. I won't be using a Windows MythTV backend or Windows for anything but if a Windows version brings more developers and users to MythTV then I say bring it on.

Below is a link to the audio snippet from the HTPCentric podcast that Dan was ranting about.

http://bit.ly/AltonMarschall

I didn't appreciate Alton's remarks. I don't think we should rag on other platforms. They all basically perform the same function, record and watch media. We should only state the facts. I know MythTV would bode well in a feature comparison with Windows Media Center and Sage TV. I hope that Dan and Pat can record an episode with the HTPCentric guys and have a civil discussion about the pros and cons of all 3 platforms.

Thanks for another great episode.

Rock on, PLA

dmfrey

Post by dmfrey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:18 am

kwisher,

Go for it. Let us know how it goes. I am gonna do the same after a few planned hardware upgrades.

pla,
Thanks for your comments. I welcome the opportunity to get together and discuss the pros and cons of all platforms. Let's set it up.

Peter64

Post by Peter64 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 am

I've been running .24-1 for a while now on an Arch system, its been as stable as any versions Ive run. Seems the CPU usage for the frontend has increased, not that I monitored it that close before however I noticed the machine has been running hotter then before (increased fan noise as they've sped up to cool it) running top shows mythfrontend around 46%. pretty sure prior to the upgrade it was less then 20 but I wouldnt bet on it.

I'll be interested to hear your results

alton987

Post by alton987 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:07 pm

It was a joke I could care less about the success or failure of Linux\MythTV or Windows\Mac. I do find the "Fanboy" attitude of most of its users funny. Why anyone feels a personal attachment to any computer code is beyond me.

On HTPC Centric we joked about Linux for all of 1 minute with no facts just funny stereotypes. I did find it funny that in your rant response you clearly didn't even listen to the podcast. I would never speak in detail\seriously about Linux\MythTV because I don't know a lot about it. Clearly you have no concerns about getting any facts right on your podcast.

Errors
1)1:06 mark you misquoted me I said I was scared to leave my wife alone with "sagetv". That is incorrect I said my previous setup with Media Center + a HDPVR was very unstable. SageTV with a HDPVR has been rock solid.
2)also around 1:06 mark i did not flip flop, I tried SageTV and switched to it.
3) You rant about all the issue people were having when you clearing didn't listen to the show and I said my Sagetv setup has been very solid with only a few minor issue. You keep inferring in your podcast that I was having a lot of issues. Almost all the "issue" discussed were around usability and UI.
4)1:07 mark "I don't even know what SageTV uses as a extender or what they are doing". Then why talk seriously about something if you clearly know nothing about a product?
5)1:10 you call me out? That is hilarious! I never saw anything? Yeah you punked me super cool awesome Linux guy.
6) You joke about codec pack? Sagetv does not require any codec pack.

I would write more but I'm busy playing Civilization 5 and watching Netflix steaming...

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 pm

alton987,
I can't address Dan's rant since he was the one who made it. I can understand why he got annoyed by your flippant comments regarding MythTV and Linux in general. Linux has been on the receiving end of attacks and FUD from Microsoft for years and to be honest it's gotten real old. I think you have a serious amount of misconceptions of the typical Linux user. The days of this guy are long gone:

Most Linux users are ordinary people who are just fed up with Microsoft and are looking for something that hearkens back to the early days of home computing. Even though Linux started as a hobbyist OS it has become much much more. It runs on a ton of hardware (from smart phones to super clusters) and runs the backbone of the internet. You think Google and Amazon are running an IIS server on a Windows box to run their businesses?! Linux users don't want special treatment. We merely want to be treated with respect as equals. Nothing more and nothing less.

You may want to name call but I think we'll take the high road. We're looking to get together with the HTPCentric podcast guys and do a show comparing & contrasting MythTV with SageTV and Windows Media Center. Next time you make more idiotic comments about Linux don't act surprised when people call you out about it.

While it does bother me that Netflix doesn't have a native Linux client it's not much of an issue these days as a lot of HDTVs,blu-ray players and gaming consoles do Netflix streaming. While I don't play World of Warcraft or Civilization I hear they run very well on Crossover (Wine) on Linux machines so no need to reboot into shitty Windows.
Ego contemno licentia

eddie

Post by eddie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:58 pm

We're still around, but we look like this now. Seriously though, Pat is completely right.

alton987

Post by alton987 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:53 am

FYI I do run several flavors of Linux on several Netbooks and notebooks and I own and have a few android phones. If you can't take a joke to be frank I don't care, but the misquotes from the podcast is what really pissed me off. If linux wants to be more popular its "Hardcore" users need to start calming down and learning how to take a joke.

FYI
I you liked McDonald's and I liked Burger King and I went on a podcast talking about Burger King then made a joke about not liking Big Mac's it would be weird if you then cut that section out of the podcast and then put it on the internet and said OMG this guy doesn't like McDonald's!

Also yeah the Netflix\Civ5 comment was me just being pissed and i should of took the high road but I didn't.

eddie

Post by eddie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:06 am

With all due respect, what you think of as a joke is no laughing matter. Most linux users are tired of getting shell shocked from MSBS. PC has stood for any personal computer since the eight bits, not just a Microsoft windows computer. Linux, BSD, OSX, and a variety of other operating systems all use a windows gui. When people say they run windows, I ask them which one.

I'm still a linux newbie.

kwisher

Post by kwisher » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 pm

dmfrey wrote:kwisher,

Go for it. Let us know how it goes. I am gonna do the same after a few planned hardware upgrades.

pla,
Thanks for your comments. I welcome the opportunity to get together and discuss the pros and cons of all platforms. Let's set it up.
After running Myth .24 for a little over a week, I will have to say I have found no major problems yet. At first when I would delete a recording then switch to live tv, the frontend would exit to the desktop. But quite a few updates have come down the pipe I have not noticed it doing this lately.

pla

Post by pla » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:50 pm

kwisher wrote: After running Myth .24 for a little over a week, I will have to say I have found no major problems yet. At first when I would delete a recording then switch to live tv, the frontend would exit to the desktop. But quite a few updates have come down the pipe I have not noticed it doing this lately.
Same here. 0.24 PPA on Ubuntu 10.04.1 is rock solid.

Rock on, PLA
MythTV0.24.png
MythTV0.24.png (76.8 KiB) Viewed 11880 times

Pantera116

Post by Pantera116 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm

The .24 release sounds really good, i am starting to think about upgraging from 0.23.
If i understand it right it is just a case of adding the mythbuntu repositories to synaptic.

Please correct me if i have this wrong...

I have 10.04 mythbuntu and have been accepting all the ubuntu updates, kernels etc but nothing
mythbuntu specific. Mythtv itself is 0.23.0 fixes 24104 and fixes 24158.

What are the risks of upgrading. What precautions backups should i make before hand. I do not want
to glitch my highly functional setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

I have upgraded to .24 using the repos. I am using the long term support mythbuntu, 10.04. The upgrade on the frontend - backend box that I use in my family room went just fine and it seems to work. I have not found any issue with it up to now. I did the same upgrade on the frontend only that I am using in my bedroom and this one did not go well. When I try to start the frontend all looks well as the theme starts but then it never gets to a menu but just reverts to the desktop. Before I did the upgrade these two computers had been working fine with no issue at all. I can still schedule recordings and watch them as well as videos on the frontend-backend in my family room but when I go to bed I am out of luck. I have done all the upgrades on both and no more turn up when I run the update. I hope one of you have already solved this as I have a bunch of very hard days at work coming up and probably won't be able to work on this problem for a week or two.

David

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:03 am

spotslayer wrote:I have upgraded to .24 using the repos. I am using the long term support mythbuntu, 10.04. The upgrade on the frontend - backend box that I use in my family room went just fine and it seems to work. I have not found any issue with it up to now. I did the same upgrade on the frontend only that I am using in my bedroom and this one did not go well. When I try to start the frontend all looks well as the theme starts but then it never gets to a menu but just reverts to the desktop. Before I did the upgrade these two computers had been working fine with no issue at all. I can still schedule recordings and watch them as well as videos on the frontend-backend in my family room but when I go to bed I am out of luck. I have done all the upgrades on both and no more turn up when I run the update. I hope one of you have already solved this as I have a bunch of very hard days at work coming up and probably won't be able to work on this problem for a week or two.
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I haven't upgraded yet myself. If it's just the frontend having issues maybe you should do a clean install on the frontend and upgrade to 0.24 thru the updater? As long as the versions of MythTV are the same you could have different versions of Mythbuntu running on each box. Hell I think you can even have different distros on each box and they should still work fine together as long as the version of MythTV is the same on all the machines.
Ego contemno licentia