sd hdhomerun prime

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

scottss

sd hdhomerun prime

Post by scottss » Mon May 16, 2011 5:33 am

Anybody check out the sd prime announcment? http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ There is a short paragraph about mythtv. Sounds hopefull
DVR applicationsHDHomeRun PRIME supports streaming access-controlled copy-freely channels to other DVR applications including MythTV. These are channels that you subscribe to, are encrypted on the cable system (access-controlled), and do not impose restriction on use inside the home (copy-freely).

Patrick
Site Admin

Re: sd hdhomerun prime

Post by Patrick » Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 am

The device is supported in MythTV as of 0.24:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime

Finally we get cablecard support in Linux!! Netflix is coming soon, the apocalypse is upon us :)

What we can actually record with the HDHomerun Prime is entirely dependent on what channels are marked as "copy freely". This varies greatly for all the cable companies. I hear Time Warner in NYC is the absolute worst locking everything down. Ironically I hear Comcast leaves everything as copy-freely. Most other companies will probably fall somewhere in between. You should be able to go into the service menus of your STB can see what the encryption flags are set to. Here are the values:
0x00 - copy freely
0x01 - copy no more
0x02 - copy once
0x03 - copy never

I plan on researching what my provider (RCN) has before going through all the trouble of ordering one of these devices and getting a cable card. I'll report back my findings. If I can record everything sans the "premium channels" (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc) I might just go ahead and pull the trigger otherwise not.
Ego contemno licentia

marc

Post by marc » Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 pm

and as I have discussed before. Nothing on our Time Warner cable system is copy freely.

This improvement is not useful to us down here. :(

Marc

Shiggitay

Post by Shiggitay » Fri May 27, 2011 5:26 am

Patrick wrote:The device is supported in MythTV as of 0.24:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime

Finally we get cablecard support in Linux!! Netflix is coming soon, the apocalypse is upon us :)

What we can actually record with the HDHomerun Prime is entirely dependent on what channels are marked as "copy freely". This varies greatly for all the cable companies. I hear Time Warner in NYC is the absolute worst locking everything down. Ironically I hear Comcast leaves everything as copy-freely. Most other companies will probably fall somewhere in between. You should be able to go into the service menus of your STB can see what the encryption flags are set to. Here are the values:
0x00 - copy freely
0x01 - copy no more
0x02 - copy once
0x03 - copy never

I plan on researching what my provider (RCN) has before going through all the trouble of ordering one of these devices and getting a cable card. I'll report back my findings. If I can record everything sans the "premium channels" (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc) I might just go ahead and pull the trigger otherwise not.
Thanks for doing this. I plan on building an HTPC/Media Server for my family, and MythTV is awesome. I've been playing around with it and it really fascinates me. Having more than just the unencrypted stations with an HDHR Prime (of which I preordered earlier w00t w00t) is gonna make my HTPC setup the best I've ever had. With all that said, I've "graduated" from Comcast to RCN and I'd be curious to know if they're copy-freely-enabled. I'd literally cancel my HDHR Prime pre-order in a heartbeat if there's no way around such a possible restriction.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to read your report on this,
Shiggitay

EDIT: I just went into my RCN HD's TiVO box service menu for the cablecard and whatnot, and I think I saw 0x01 (Copy No More). What exactly does that mean? >_>

EDIT 2: Upon further research I read that:

"Copy No More - No further copying is permitted – This content can be recorded to a TiVo DVR, but cannot be copied or distributed any further."

Does that mean I cannot take a recorded file, and copy it from my MythTV box onto my regular desktop box for editing (i.e. manual editing of commercials, should I not like how MythTV commflags then) etc? I personally think this encryption stuff is stupid because you pay for the cable service, and if you choose to watch a show on your own time, but not necessarily on the same device it was recorded on, how is that a bad thing?

EDIT 3: This is interesting... I had recorded the season finale [to my TiVo cablebox thinger] of House, M.D. from my local FOX station, and I copied it over to my i5-2500k desktop for viewing. That worked fine. Then I decided to test it further and I copied it again to my laptop here, and the copy went fine. So, either local stations are 0x00, or FOX WFXT Boston is, but this seeems promising. I've heard that some of the Prime pre-orders will start to ship out in June. Patrick, if you're one of those lucky ones, please let us RCN subscribers know what we're up against. :)

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 am

Shiggitay wrote:Patrick, if you're one of those lucky ones, please let us RCN subscribers know what we're up against. :)
Of course. I'll document on my blog and share here & on the mythtv-users mailing list.
Ego contemno licentia