MakeMKV?

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

marc

MakeMKV?

Post by marc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Has anyone used makemkv for archiving blue-ray and dvd's to an MKV container? What have been your experiences?
I've tried it out and think it works well. The resulting files play perfectly with MythTV on all my front ends and a popcorn hour thin client. I'm considering paying for it when the trial is up however I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks!

Marc

Patrick
Site Admin

Re: MakeMKV?

Post by Patrick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:31 am

marc wrote:Has anyone used makemkv for archiving blue-ray and dvd's to an MKV container? What have been your experiences?
I've tried it out and think it works well. The resulting files play perfectly with MythTV on all my front ends and a popcorn hour thin client. I'm considering paying for it when the trial is up however I'm interested in your opinion.
I haven't done any mkv or ripped any blu-ray discs yet. I am interested as it's only a matter of time till I upgrade the drive in my new build. From what I've read people say positive things about makemkv. How much does the linux version sell for?
Ego contemno licentia

marc

Post by marc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Pat, its the same price as the other versions and unfortunately priced at fifty bucks. However considering how perfectly it works, I feel it is justified.
And yes, it just works perfectly. There is no PPA for Ubuntu 10.10 that I could find however the commands to compile it are super simple.

In essence, this removed my only consideration to upgrade to myth .24 which was to easily share ISO's stored on the backend to each of the front ends. Now I have a linked file to the MKV with the movie. It plays and I still have access to all the languages and subtitles. No DVD navigation menus but that's not critical to me.

Marc

dmfrey

Post by dmfrey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 am

I have been using the beta and loving it. Works great and is fast. We did talk about it on Episode 31 as well as TLLTS.