12 TB Array... No, that's not cool... PALIMPSEST IS!

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

marc

12 TB Array... No, that's not cool... PALIMPSEST IS!

Post by marc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Now is this sweet or what?

I already had a 6 TB raid 5 box attached to my Mythtv backend. It's one of those cheapie mini towers that has two esata ports connecting to a special interface card stuck in your computer. Yeah, I know... software raid but it worked perfectly, is cheap and has 8 bays.

For almost a year, I've been running a 6 TB software raid with 4 Samsung 2 TB drives. I always knew it was possible to GROW the damned thing and held off buying new drives because of the drama. Well this past week, newegg had a sale on some 2TB drives and I picked up three more.

I thought I would have a whole weekend of of learning CLI commands for raid work building and re-sizing the array and the associated angst of halting the raid for maintenance and thus taking down my backend server. BUT NO!!!

I loaded PALIMSEST to monitor the drives as I inserted them into the raid box and ensure they were good. Guess what?!?!? After verifying that all the drives were in working condition there was a simple button on the panel for "Edit Components." It can't be this easy I thought. Well I pressed the button and was given two choices. These were to add hot spares or grow the array. I clicked the three new drives and pressed go and what the hey!!! It's rebuilding and re-sizing the array as I type this. I'm still recording to the drives and able to view content off the raid... I know this may take a few days to finish the rebuilding of the raid but I don't have to even power down or halt the raid.

So, soon I will have 12 TB of space to fill. God, can I even do that? Is there enough TV in the world?

Simply amazing... Gnome Utilities do make it easy... So freaking SWEET!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

Update: 24 hours later.... about a quarter the way through reshaping array... I read this will take a while and it is. Still functioning perfectly!

Marc

marc

Re: 12 TB Array... No, that's not cool... PALIMPSEST IS!

Post by marc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Just an update. After the reshaping for two and a half days, took the array down and quickly resized the partition with resize2fs.
Up and running with double my previous storage capacity and did not have to reinstall, reconfigure, or loose any of the recordings and videos.

Total down time:
Not sure... Started resize2fs and left the house for about an hour and a half.... It was finished when I returned... So, I'll say less than two hours downtime in total.

Gotta love linux!