Patrick
Site Admin

Episode 32 - Dan's Prime Adventure

Post by Patrick » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Ego contemno licentia

iamlindoro

Re: Episode 32 - Dan's Prime Adventure

Post by iamlindoro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi guys, just a few notes to help the next person.

--dd-grab-all is more or less what you referred to it as being, but it is not designed to clean out the channels, it merely discards the program data for all days, and reloads everything. It's actually a command line option that is easier on Schedules Direct, while simultaneously getting you more accurate listings data for the whole 14 day range. "regular" runs of mythfilldatabase only grab tomorrow, and 14 days from now... so something can sit for up to 13 days in the guide when newer, better guide data is available. Running --dd-grab-all means that every single day, you have 100% accurate, up to date listings data, while also being nicer to the SD servers by not forcing them to parse out just what you're asking for... they can instead just send you one file and not worry about processing it. Most users with non-puny backends should add --dd-grab-all to their mythfilldatabase arguments in mythtv-setup... they'll have vastly better data as a result.

The reason all the options Dan tried didn't work to update the channels is, most of the logic in mythtv for which tuners are allowed to fetch channels from the listings source prevents it being run on an HDHomeRun tuner type (because traditionally, this has been a tuner that *required* a scan to function properly)-- it's the same reason you need to create a DEMO tuner to get the listings in .24. I have a fix nearly ready to go in for .25, which is now starting to percolate towards completion. Once the fix goes in to make HDHomeRun Primes with cablecards able to fetch channels goes in, your channels will keep up to date automatically without any need to perform special handling of any kind. Your regularly scheduled mythfilldatabase run will add new channels and remove old ones. It's just a quirk for now, not forever.

I've fixed the "UpdateFilters called in wrong tune mode" spurious error message for .25. It's annoying.

Dan's original issue with the "invalid vchannel" was a HDHR Prime firmware issue where it wasn't caching channel maps long enough. If he's on the current firmware, it should be fixed. Some providers don't broadcast channel maps often enough, and the HDHR Prime went out interpreting how often it should expect them strictly-- it has since been updated to cache the channel maps longer.

Updating the frequency table will have no effect-- you could set any freqtable value you want. The Prime tunes by virtual channel, which is just the whole number channel you see on a set top box. Myth doesn't even care/know about the frequency table used by the Prime-- it just asks for channel 123, and waits for data to be sent.

Robert

iamlindoro

Post by iamlindoro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Some more info as I listen:

The Digital version of CGMS is the Redistribution control descriptor in MPEG-TS. It's only relevant to local broadcast channels so myth users can avoid it by having a QAM tuner onhand if they have a problem broadcaster, they can work around it. CBS/CW uses it on all programming in many markets, Fox sometimes turns it on selectively for programs-- some people have reported NFL football randomly reintroducing it. Not wanting to worry about it, I just keep my QAM tuners in the running. If you create your QAM tuners first, then add your HDHR Prime tuners, the QAM tuners will be scheduled first, and you'll always be okay on the broadcast channels. Just a little trick one can use if they've got an unenlightened local affiliate. Personally, I don't care about most of the rest of my ClearQAM channels with the Prime in the running, so I just scan, remove all the channels but the networks, and leave the rest of the channel to the Prime.

Also, I e-mailed engineering at my local CBS/CW and managed to get them to turn it off. So there's hope.

Robert

iamlindoro

Post by iamlindoro » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 am

I've pushed the remainder of my changes for the Prime to master in anticipation of .25. No demo tuner or DB hackery is needed in master any more. You can just set up the three tuners, set up a regular video source, attach the source to the prime, and fetch channels from listings source. It's a two minute setup, max.

Regular mythfilldatabase will now also keep the channel list up to date for the prime, too.

Robert

iamlindoro

Post by iamlindoro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:14 pm

CableLabs has clarified their CGMS (broadcast flag) rules for SiliconDust, who has in turn released a new firmware today-- those local channels with the RCD flag which were unrecordable with the Prime in MythTV will now function as expected (much rejoicing here, where that makes CBS, CW, and PBS of all things recordable).