setting up a Logitech harmony remote

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

andylinux

setting up a Logitech harmony remote

Post by andylinux » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi,
I am replacing my old RadioShack 15-2116 Universal Remote with a Logitech Harmony 600 remote. After some searching in the Internet there seems to be different ways people have this remote setup. I'm using my HDhomerun as my ir receiver (which is working well). I have the ir receiver setup and working with my old Radio Shack remote.

I'm confused on the best way to setup the Logitech Harmony 600 remote to work with mythtv. I found some information saying there is a Knoppmyth setting in the Harmony software under PVR (although I couldn't find it). I also found this information http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1441212&page=3, about setting it up as sony-str-da5300es receiver but that didn't work too well for me.

How did you guys set yours up?

What remote are did you pick in the Harmony software? And what settings are you using for your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and /etc/lirc/lircd.conf?

Thanks,
Andy

kwisher

Re: setting up a Logitech harmony remote

Post by kwisher » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I just got a Harmony 600 and used the link below to program it with Linux. Even though the forum post is based on Ubuntu Hardy, it still works on Mint-12. I previously was using a Phillips/Microsoft Media Center remote with USB IR receiver. During the Harmony setup I was able to choose the Media Center remote to transfer the settings to the Harmony. I highly recommend this remote for MythTV. I was also able to custom program buttons. I did not have to do any custom LIRC config editing.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781059

andylinux

Post by andylinux » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have access to a windows machine where I am running the the logitech software to program the remote. So the actual programming of the remote works, I'm not sure what is the best way to set it up for mythtv.

I also looked at this,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Har ... eric_Setup
but the setup doesn't seem that straight forward. I was hoping there would be an easier way to set it up.

Thanks,
Andy

kwisher

Post by kwisher » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 pm

I have a spare MCE remote and IR receiver I would be willing to sell for $15 US.

andylinux

Re: setting up a Logitech harmony remote (solved)

Post by andylinux » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I was able to get this figured out. This was the method I used and it was easy and is working well.

I am using the Logitech Harmony Remote software 7.7.0 (rather then their web version) on a Windows machine.

add the following device. in the Harmony Remote software,
Device: Video recorder, PVR, Manufacturer: Microsoft, Model: 1039
I picked the 1039 model Based on this page of remotes, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote, but I don't think it really matters.
Then I only had to customize one key, for MythTv. In the Logitech software, select settings for the Windows Media device (I renamed this device to MythTV), then Customize buttons, for the Menu key select the command, MediaCenter.

Next in Mythbuntu 11.04 control centre, pick Infrared, select USB & Serial Remote support via LIRC, check box that says “Enable a Remote Control” and pick from the list the “Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all) option
Last click apply. If you are using a MCE IR receiver then you would be all done. However, I am using the Hdhomerun IR forwarding.

I setup the HDhomerun based on these instructions, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
hdhomerun_config <device id> set /ir/target "<frontend IP address>:5000 no_clear"
NOTE: Silicondust's website says that you can save the IR target to the HDHR's flash memory using the following command. I've had difficulty getting this to work, but here's the command. If this doesn't work either, you'll just need to issue the above command whenever your HDHR is unplugged and sometimes if your router gets reset.
hdhomerun_config <device id> set /ir/target "<frontend IP address>:5000 store"

Next edit the /etc/lirc/hardward.conf file and make these changes to it uses the Hdhomerun,

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="udp"
REMOTE_DEVICE="5000"
#REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
#REMOTE_DRIVER=""
#REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

Hopefully this helps someone else as I was confused by the many ways mentioned for setting up the remote.

andylinux

Post by andylinux » Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Another note about this. When I upgrade from mythtv 0.24 to 0.25 my remote stopped working. After some research, I figured out that there seems to have been a change in the
/home/user/.lirc/mythtv file. It seems some of the buttons changed. My old one had things like,
button = Up

the new one is like this,
button = KEY_UP

using mythbuntu control center I recreated my remote in the infared section. I had to first assign a different remote and select apply, then select the "windows media centre remote" again. Note after doing this I needed to redit my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file and make the changes I mention in my previous post.

You could also run irw, from a command line and see what each button press generates and then manually edit the .lirc/mythtv file and update the button sections.

Hope this helps someone else.