[SOLVED] Mythbuntu 12.04LTS lirc frustration

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

bobwdn

[SOLVED] Mythbuntu 12.04LTS lirc frustration

Post by bobwdn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 pm

A brief history . . . . in August 2011 I began building a Mythbuntu box. Over the course of the previous six months I had collected the necessary hardware and with 11.10 on the horizon, I figured it was time to do this. I quickly discovered that Mythbuntu v11.04 had a bug in the kernel that was connected to my capture card (Hauppauge HVR-1600), that, by what I had read, was suppose to just work. Ok, then I waited for v11.10.

Release v11.10 . . . kernel bug is fixed (yeah) and now I had issues with configuring HVR-1600. Then I suddenly had a house repair project that took several weekends and the Mythbuntu box got set aside.

Release 12.04LTS . . newer mythtv (0.25), better configuration scripts, so I try it again. Install goes great. Can watch TV with keyboard actions. Now let's get the remote working . . . NOW I am dealing with lirc bug (Launchpad #1004239). Frustration, to say the least! The work around suggested in the bug string does not correct the problem and lirc refuses to run on my new Mythbuntu box.

So, the whole point of this story is to express my frustration and vent a little. I feel better now, thanks for understanding. And I appreciate the open source development process, so I wait patiently for a fix.

To those individuals who are having the same issue (lirc not working after an upgrade or a fresh install of v12.04LTS) PLEASE go to Launchpad (bug #1004239) and add yourself to the list of affected users so launchpad will assign this bug to a developer and then the bug will get fixed. (I think you will have to login or create an account to be added to the list of affected users.)

Again, go here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... fectsmetoo) to be added to the Launchpad bug #1004239 affected users list.

I have explored trying a XMBCbuntu livecd and it is also affected by this bug (as I figured it would be as is based on Ubuntu 12.04LTS.) Also I have tried all three of my Ubuntu boxes and after installing lirc, the same result . . . . . patiently, I wait for a fix.
Last edited by bobwdn on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pantera116

Re: Mythbuntu 12.04LTS lirc frustration

Post by Pantera116 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:23 am

Do you have a particular IR remote you plan to use? if you are not yet commited to going down the IR route you could go bluetooth.

I have had a very good experience with using the SONY PS3 DVD remotes in conjuction with belkin dongles.

Regards setup I have used the uinput kernel module method of connection. See these links

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote

The trick with the PS3 remote to get sensible battery life is the 'idle timeout' setting, which breaks the link to avoid battery drain.

The idle timeout is set in the /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file. The value is set in seconds (not minutes). I am currently using 300 and 600 on my 2 systems. To be honest a longer setting to
avoid disconnection between ad breaks may be better. Reconnection does not take very long, 2-3 seconds after that response is instant. I installed Blueman and this gives a nice interface while
doing the initial setup, It also gives a logo on the task bar on the desktop screen. This logo gets a green dot added to it when you have an active connection.

Hope this info is useful.

bobwdn

Re: Mythbuntu 12.04LTS lirc frustration

Post by bobwdn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:16 pm

I discovered that my issue was hardware related. The HVR-1600 digital tuner works but infrared and analog tuner do not. So, to get the infrared working, I replaced the ir part of the HVR-1600 with Mythtvcast suggested Windo$e Media Center infrared remote. Thanks Dan and Pat for your remote control suggestion. It just works great!!

As a side note, those of you interesting in using a Hauppaugge HVR-1600 tuner card, good luck! My experience was been that it is too difficult to get everything the card can do, working. I have since purchased a HD Homerun Dual and when I change over to cable TV, I will buy a Homerun Prime.