need a bit of help with some info..

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

adragontattoo

need a bit of help with some info..

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Ok I am back to trying Linux via Kubuntu (I keep trying linux out and keeping going back to using KDE instead of Gnome.. I dont have any real reasons of why I dislike Gnome, I just dont feel ?comfortable? using it.)

I just set up a A64 3800x2 @2.2ghz, 4gb of PC3200, 8800gts 320mb, Epox 9NPA, 250gb and 500gb PATA drives, and Razer Barracuda Sound Card

I am trying to get away from MS as much as I can but unfortunately I cant fully abandon MS due to my zune (I hate the software but like the hardware), gaming(stress relief) and my MotoQ9m (1 year till I can upgrade to a different phone and find one that works with Verizon and is hopefully linux friendly).

I have a few ideas of what I want to do posted on another Forum (linked instead of retyping the entire thread) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=549839

Any help with the Home Automation or security via webcam using Debian/Ubuntu?

I an on again off again noob to linux, I have no issues installing it and can blunder around the terminal but overall I am pretty noobish when it comes to linux, so any and all help would be great (even a hey go look at this type stuff).

MattKingUSA

Re: need a bit of help with some info..

Post by MattKingUSA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:19 pm

adragontattoo wrote:Ok I am back to trying Linux via Kubuntu (I keep trying linux out and keeping going back to using KDE instead of Gnome.. I dont have any real reasons of why I dislike Gnome, I just dont feel ?comfortable? using it.)

I just set up a A64 3800x2 @2.2ghz, 4gb of PC3200, 8800gts 320mb, Epox 9NPA, 250gb and 500gb PATA drives, and Razer Barracuda Sound Card

I am trying to get away from MS as much as I can but unfortunately I cant fully abandon MS due to my zune (I hate the software but like the hardware), gaming(stress relief) and my MotoQ9m (1 year till I can upgrade to a different phone and find one that works with Verizon and is hopefully linux friendly).

I have a few ideas of what I want to do posted on another Forum (linked instead of retyping the entire thread) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=549839

Any help with the Home Automation or security via webcam using Debian/Ubuntu?

I an on again off again noob to linux, I have no issues installing it and can blunder around the terminal but overall I am pretty noobish when it comes to linux, so any and all help would be great (even a hey go look at this type stuff).
I'm going to suggest Zoneminder, http://www.zoneminder.com/
And Virtualbox,
http://www.virtualbox.org/

adragontattoo

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:19 pm

I want to try to see if I can do the leftover MS portions in VM as I am relatively comfortable with VMware due to my current job.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:27 pm

adragontattoo wrote:I want to try to see if I can do the leftover MS portions in VM as I am relatively comfortable with VMware due to my current job.
That's what I used to do with vmware 3. I had a partition for windows and a partition for mandrake 7.2 And I would just access windows from vmware. That's some great software. It's also handy if you want to have windows on a separate physical drive and access it that way. Not sure how you could do that in virtualbox. But it doesn't matter if you vmware.

adragontattoo

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Now that I took a bit more look at the links, I think that both of them may work very well for what I need.

Thanks.

Now to try to figure out the rest of my idea/plan.

Have you guys ever done a podcast about Linux and Home automation?

/feels kind of weird for listening to Linux podcasts on a Zune.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 pm

adragontattoo wrote:Now that I took a bit more look at the links, I think that both of them may work very well for what I need.

Thanks.

Now to try to figure out the rest of my idea/plan.

Have you guys ever done a podcast about Linux and Home automation?

/feels kind of weird for listening to Linux podcasts on a Zune.
I've never heard of a podcast like that. But I have been looking into this too. It started with security and then I decided that I realy just wanted a networked coffee pot so that I could be even more lazy.

adragontattoo

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Are you going to run linux on the coffee pot so that you can adjust the amount of caffeine in it?

I have been looking into home automation for awhile, with the condo that I am basically buying, I dont need to automate the blinds because no one can see into my condo through the trees and 6 floors up.

Now I want to look at automating the temp, lights, and if at all possible automating some of the info for my various fishtanks.

First I need the money to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the Hardware to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the skills to program the hardware to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the space to install the hardware to complete my lofty goals
I have too many ideas.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:35 pm

adragontattoo wrote:Are you going to run linux on the coffee pot so that you can adjust the amount of caffeine in it?

I have been looking into home automation for awhile, with the condo that I am basically buying, I dont need to automate the blinds because no one can see into my condo through the trees and 6 floors up.

Now I want to look at automating the temp, lights, and if at all possible automating some of the info for my various fishtanks.

First I need the money to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the Hardware to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the skills to program the hardware to complete my lofty goals
Then I need the space to install the hardware to complete my lofty goals
I have too many ideas.
There's probly already enough software out there to run the hardware. But you deffinately want a laptop or hd tv/monitor in each room and on every ceiling, wall, floor maybe too. Just a thought.

EDIT: Better yet, if you can afford this stuff http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/05/28/sony- ... tv-screen/ instead just use that on every surface in your home. Wicked.

adragontattoo

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Nah I figure ill just get a bunch of the LED screens like the ones that are used in Billboards and as the backdrop for concerts.

http://www.signindustry.com/led/article ... oards.php3

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:48 pm

adragontattoo wrote: Have you guys ever done a podcast about Linux and Home automation
We interviewed the developer of zoneminder back in episode 183. We also interviewed the author of the Linux home automation book back in episode 162. Both are worthwhile to listen to.
Ego contemno licentia

adragontattoo

Post by adragontattoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Patrick wrote:
adragontattoo wrote: Have you guys ever done a podcast about Linux and Home automation
We interviewed the developer of zoneminder back in episode 183. We also interviewed the author of the Linux home automation book back in episode 162. Both are worthwhile to listen to.
pulling them both now.