Turd of the Week submissions

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Patrick
Site Admin

Turd of the Week submissions

Post by Patrick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

So last night night took the very first Turd of the Week award. Please list any suggestions below and we'll consider them on upcoming shows.
Ego contemno licentia

eddie

Re: Turd of the Week submissions

Post by eddie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

This week for Microsoft trying to backdoor their software into Ubuntu. See my latest message.

kwisher

Post by kwisher » Mon May 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Not really a suggestion for a Turd award but, Link was insisting that Linux Mint was based off of Debian. He is incorrect. It is and has been based from Ubuntu. There is a new release two to four weeks following the Ubuntu releases.

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm

You are correct sir, it is crunchbang that is now based off Debian. I erred too I believe and I suspect we got these two mixed up. Damn linc!

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 am

kwisher wrote:Not really a suggestion for a Turd award but, Link was insisting that Linux Mint was based off of Debian. He is incorrect. It is and has been based from Ubuntu. There is a new release two to four weeks following the Ubuntu releases.
Funny, there was someone arguing that point with me during the show too. Too bad people cannot seem to read the damn "About" page directly from Linux Mint before arguing with me. I quote from http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php

"Linux Mint is one of the surprise packages of the past year. Originally launched as a variant of Ubuntu with integrated media codecs........."

So, it was ORIGINALLY based on Ubuntu. This is *not* still the case, or they would not have use the word *ORIGINALLY*. Further reading down the page..........:

"Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are: ...............
* It is a Debian-based distribution and as such it is very solid and it comes with one of the greatest package managers."

Although I cannot find it now with only a minute or two search time, I believe it was a couple releases ago (Mint 4?) when they stopped just being some stuff slapped on Ubuntu and really started being their own deal. I should probably see if I can get one or more of the maintainers on the show to talk about it.
-Linc Fessenden

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

kwisher

Post by kwisher » Tue May 04, 2010 7:28 am

Linc, I had not read that info before. My apologies. I made my statement based on all the bitching on the forums about Mint following Ubuntu's lead. There is even a thread proposing that Mint not be based on Ubuntu but solely on Debian. I am not so sure on what is correct. Please try to get Clem as a upcoming guest on the show.

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 am

kwisher wrote:Linc, I had not read that info before. My apologies. I made my statement based on all the bitching on the forums about Mint following Ubuntu's lead. There is even a thread proposing that Mint not be based on Ubuntu but solely on Debian. I am not so sure on what is correct. Please try to get Clem as a upcoming guest on the show.
No worries, mate. And I would love to get Clem on the show - need to work on that....
-Linc Fessenden

hellonorman

Post by hellonorman » Tue May 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Linc wrote:
kwisher wrote:Not really a suggestion for a Turd award but, Link was insisting that Linux Mint was based off of Debian. He is incorrect. It is and has been based from Ubuntu. There is a new release two to four weeks following the Ubuntu releases.
Funny, there was someone arguing that point with me during the show too. Too bad people cannot seem to read the damn "About" page directly from Linux Mint before arguing with me. I quote from http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php

"Linux Mint is one of the surprise packages of the past year. Originally launched as a variant of Ubuntu with integrated media codecs........."

So, it was ORIGINALLY based on Ubuntu. This is *not* still the case, or they would not have use the word *ORIGINALLY*. Further reading down the page..........:

"Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are: ...............
* It is a Debian-based distribution and as such it is very solid and it comes with one of the greatest package managers."

Although I cannot find it now with only a minute or two search time, I believe it was a couple releases ago (Mint 4?) when they stopped just being some stuff slapped on Ubuntu and really started being their own deal. I should probably see if I can get one or more of the maintainers on the show to talk about it.

It is equally likely if not more so that it originally just integrated the codecs but that it's evolved into much more while still being based on ubuntu.
It is equally likely also that it is Debain-based because ubuntu is debian-based and that the sentence is referring more to the package manager.

You may be right, although I doubt it, but not based solely upon the about page.
"It's not a lie, if you really believe it"
--George Costanza

andylinux

Post by andylinux » Fri May 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry Linc Mint is still based on Ubuntu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
The first line says, "Linux Mint is an operating system for personal computers, based on (and compatible with) Ubuntu,"
Also,
Check out check out the whats new page and scroll to the end of the page.
http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_whatsnew.php

The end of the page says,
"Upstream Improvements
Upstream, Gnome 2.30 and Thunderbird 3 come with noticeable improvements.

Ubuntu 10.04 brings faster boot speeds, a better looking installer, and "Long Term Support" (3 years of security updates)."

If you still don't believe me look at your /etc/apt/sources.list file and see what repositories are listed there.

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm

andylinux wrote:Sorry Linc Mint is still based on Ubuntu.
The first line says, "Linux Mint is an operating system for personal computers, based on (and compatible with) Ubuntu,"
Also,

"Upstream Improvements

Ubuntu 10.04 brings faster boot speeds, a better looking installer, and "Long Term Support" (3 years of security updates)."

If you still don't believe me look at your /etc/apt/sources.list file and see what repositories are listed there.
Yup, you're right! I saw this Ubuntu claim not more than a day after my last post. There was some press release article about the new Mint coming out...... In stark contrast to their claims on their own "about" page. Such is life man!
-Linc Fessenden

hellonorman

Post by hellonorman » Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Linc wrote:
andylinux wrote:Sorry Linc Mint is still based on Ubuntu.
Also,

"Upstream Improvements

Yup, you're right! I saw this Ubuntu claim not more than a day after my last post. There was some press release article about the new Mint coming out...... In stark contrast to their claims on their own "about" page. Such is life man!

I guess it would be better if people would understand the damn "about" page before arguing.
--George Costanza

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Fri May 07, 2010 9:36 pm

hellonorman wrote: I guess it would be better if people would understand the damn "about" page before arguing.
Sure would. Have you read it yet? It reads very clear, and apparently, very misleading.
-Linc Fessenden

hellonorman

Post by hellonorman » Fri May 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Linc wrote:
hellonorman wrote: I guess it would be better if people would understand the damn "about" page before arguing.
Sure would. Have you read it yet? It reads very clear, and apparently, very misleading.

It says it's based on ubuntu and uses the debian package manager. Not really misleading unless you are trying.
--George Costanza

jelkimantis

Post by jelkimantis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

I think you all get 'turd' awards for railroading this thread.

eddie

Post by eddie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 am

Will Oracle drown drinking their own Java?