What do you use to rip and/or encode DVD's?

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

ricemark20

What do you use to rip and/or encode DVD's?

Post by ricemark20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 am

I have been working on refining my method of ripping and encoding my DVD collection.

Code: Select all

vobcopy -I
to find the main video track.

vobcopy -l -n x
seems get the raw vob off the DVD. x being the video track number (it's not always track 1)
The reason I bother with this instead of just using Handbrake, is that I have a raw file to work with, and it doesn't stress the dvdrom drive (I think).
I used to use Handbrake with the default settings for high quality, but found that after hours of encoding, it grabbed the wrong audio track
To get around this, I used

HandBrakeCLI -a x -e ffmpeg --start-at duration:300 --stop-at duration:320 -i movie.vob -o movie.m4v
x being the audio track number. This grabs a 20 second sample of the audio track you need to use depending on the language you want the movie in.
Yes, I could have used VLC for this part, but I was going for a command line only approach.

Then I used a modification of the High profile for Handbrake (the default gave me a Floating point exception)

Handbrake -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1 --detelecine --decomb --loose-anamorphic -i movie.vob -o movie.m4v
This may seem like a long way to go about it, but only takes a few minutes to set up each movie, and since I'm running it on the command line, 3 movies can encode at once without taxing the system too much(it seems more reliable, too). It takes a while to encode, so I just set it up for the night and let it go.

I know there are many other approaches, and just wanted to see what other people do.

ricemark20

Re: What do you use to rip and/or encode DVD's?

Post by ricemark20 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:10 am

@Patrick , is there anything you would do better?
This way seems pretty reliable, but any alternatives/improvements would be welcome.

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 am

For general DVD rips I use handbrake. Great tool.
Ego contemno licentia

toddr

Post by toddr » Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

I am almost ashamed to say this, but I use DVD Decrypter under wine. This program is pretty old, but still works great. I also use Handbrake.

spotslayer

Post by spotslayer » Wed May 04, 2011 3:50 pm

AcidRip

Arrakeenian

Post by Arrakeenian » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:30 pm

K9copy

marc

Post by marc » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Linux version of MakeMKV. No re-encodes just yet but probably will use handbrake.
I can archive my blue-ray and DVD disks and they play back perfectly on Mythtv. Functioning bonuses under the myth interface including chapter search, languages, and subtitles. I'll probably pay to register after the 30 day trial is up.

Marc

And I did just that. I purchased a license to continue using it. Did not need to as it let me keep using its features. But it felt good to pay for a great linux program.