Cable ends.

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

eddie

Cable ends.

Post by eddie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:02 am

Done my share of cabling.

Normal ends (patch cable to connect to port on a switch)

Crossover ends. (i.e. computer connected directly to another computer)

dann
Site Admin

Re: Cable ends.

Post by dann » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks a lot eddie!

eddie

Post by eddie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:20 am

Your welcome!
jnetmap. (I have not finished editing yet).

russh

Post by russh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm

whatcha doing? Is there a backchannel chat that I'm not seeing?!?
Russ

eddie

Post by eddie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:21 am

Not sure what you are asking. I believe Dann mentioned something about doing cabling on the last tech show. Linc responded with the correct wiring for the cables. Not sure whether any punchdowns needed to be done. Just thought people might like to see what they were talking about. Personally I do not purchase cables off the shelf except in an extreme emergency.

One suggestion: Get a good sturdy crimper and a good cable tester.

You will want to document your network after all the cabling is done. jNetMap is free vs using MSWindows nmap or the like.

You get to a point where you can tell a good cable end more or less. My brother who teaches computing requires students to make a cable as part of the curriculum. He teaches more than theory. He also teaches linux.

russh

Post by russh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 am

Ahh, missed that. Very true- always put in spare capacity too. Cat5/Cat6 is cheap, once the room is fitted out you do not want to go back and revisit it to install 'just one more'! Also, if you're doing high bandwidth apps, there can be a world of difference in the throughput of a no-name switch, netgear switch, vyatta (seems to get good press) or of course Cisco. They may all say 10/100/1GB buut not all have the backplane for supporting 1Gb across all the ports.

Good luck!
Russ

eddie

Post by eddie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 am

They had Extreme switches were I used to work. I bought just a switch dirt cheap to learn about it. I would not use Extreme switches in the real world. They were always needing replacement cards.Dell switches were even worse. Maybe their newer stuff is much more reliable. We started using hp switches and they seemed to be much more reliable. Not gone back even to take a peek. Cisco rules. MS as an investment in Vyatta allegedly. Caveat Emptor. There is already 10gb ethernet backplanes available if you have the bucks. Though we used fiber. The networking admin liked Netgear for home.