R&D-I-Y (Research & Develop It Yourself) & Open Src Ecology

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Pedro Palhoto

R&D-I-Y (Research & Develop It Yourself) & Open Src Ecology

Post by Pedro Palhoto » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 am

Hey everyone,

The following initiatives could serve as topics to have as interviews on the show.

I just found about the R&D-I-Y (Research & Develop It Yourself) web collaboration platform through A garden in my apartment TED talk. It applies open source software development techniques to physical systems development.

Here's their intro to the platform:
R&D-I-Y is a web platform for mass collaboration. Together, our community is working to integrate personal scale innovation for environmental stewardship + quality of life into the existing infrastructure of cities. We are applying open source software development techniques to physical systems development. We are developing hydroponic systems, LEDs, solar, aquaponics, sensor systems, nutrient sources and alternative energy . . . all using open source techniques and as many readily-available materials as possible. Join us at our.windowfarms.org.
Also related is the Open Source Ecology initiative. which you can see the TED Talk titled Open-sourced blueprints for civilization and check out the blog for the latest news.

Their synopsis:
Open Source Ecology was founded in 2004 by Marcin Jakubowski. We are a network of farmers, engineers, and supporters that for the last two years has been creating the Global Village Construction Set, an open-source, low-cost, high performance technological platform that allows for the easy, DIY fabrication of the 50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a sustainable civilization with modern comforts. The GVCS lowers the barriers to entry into farming, building, and manufacturing and can be seen as a life-size lego-like set of modular tools that can create entire economies, whether in rural Missouri, where the project was founded, in urban redevelopment, or in the heart of Africa.
I hope this was the right sub-forum to post the topic. If not, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

EDIT: BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)