Run Bashpodder from a USB drive?

Hey drop us a line about the show. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback and criticism, or just ramble on about anything your little heart desires.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

jamathis

Run Bashpodder from a USB drive?

Post by jamathis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Bashpodder from an external USB hard drive or thumb drive? I've tried but it just doesn't work. It either does nothing or I get a permissions error. Using chmod hasn't helped at all. Is it possible to get it to work? Because I use multiple computers I think it would be easier to just use a flash drive to download my favorite podcasts. I know I could just set up one to run it in cron and share them over my home network (I already do so this isn't what I'm looking for), but I would like to cut out that step of transferring to different devices if possible. Any help on this would be appreciated.

dann
Site Admin

Re: Run Bashpodder from a USB drive?

Post by dann » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I do believe to get it to work you have to mount the device with exec options. By default devices are mounted with the noexec option. You would have to mount the device with exec explicitly set.

akuma624

Post by akuma624 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Would be cool if you could automate the download of a number of podcasts to such a device ... once mounted ... not sure how that would be done ...

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:49 pm

You can set the output directory in bashpodder so basically you plug the device in and run bashpodder it will drop the files onto the device. you don't have to run it from the device.