Require Slackware Tutoring

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Judland

Require Slackware Tutoring

Post by Judland » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:01 pm

Okay, I'm giving Slackware another go here and have a few questions I wondered if anyone here can help me with.

My first question:

I've successfully installed Slackware 10 and am now looking at upgrading systems files and installing new apps.

I come from a world of Debian's Apt-get and Synaptic, where all I have to do is click on Synaptic's Update and Upgrade icons to get the latest packages based on an on-line repository.

From what I've read so far about Slackware, I can upgrade using upgradepkg, but do I need to go and download packages on my own or is there a repository-type list I can tell my system to go check and download what may be neccessary?

Does Slackware 10 have an Apt-get counterpart?

Linc (2lazy2login)

Re: Require Slackware Tutoring

Post by Linc (2lazy2login) » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:34 pm

Judland wrote:Okay, I'm giving Slackware another go here and have a few questions I wondered if anyone here can help me with.

My first question:

I've successfully installed Slackware 10 and am now looking at upgrading systems files and installing new apps.

I come from a world of Debian's Apt-get and Synaptic, where all I have to do is click on Synaptic's Update and Upgrade icons to get the latest packages based on an on-line repository.

From what I've read so far about Slackware, I can upgrade using upgradepkg, but do I need to go and download packages on my own or is there a repository-type list I can tell my system to go check and download what may be neccessary?

Does Slackware 10 have an Apt-get counterpart?
Sorry I missed this earlier man. What you want is a package called "swaret". Go to linuxpackages.net and get it. Install it as root by doing a installpkg swaret(whateverthenameis). The edit the /etc/swaret.conf file and make sure the "version=10.0" and "NIC=eth0" or whatever your nic assignment is. Then simply run:
swaret --update
swaret --upgrade
and you'll be in business!

Judland

Post by Judland » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:20 am

Hey, thanks Linc. I'll give that a try. I'll also do some more research into Swaret.