problem with synergy

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

flamesfan

problem with synergy

Post by flamesfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:16 pm

hey all I was trying to install synergy 1.3.1 and I downloaded the Tar file and then in terminal did the tar -zxvf synergy-1.3.1.tar.gz command but Iam not sure what to do next, can somebody please help, buy the way Iam running DSL 3.0.1

lizerazu

Post by lizerazu » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:15 pm

1. Flames fan in Nova Scotia? Interesting.

2. I installed synergy for FC6 and ubuntu the other day and love every second of it. Of course this means I haven't installed it from source.

3. I did download the source tarball (after reading your post) and figured any hockey fan deserves help. I'm not a pro by any means but I'm almost finished building my first Linux From Scratch (just the basic parts) system and feel that the 60 or so compiles I did this weekend may be helpful.

first: read the README and INSTALL files (I'm about to do this).. which will tell you to read doc/compiling.html... so read that instead. I've now read it and don't see anything very interesting in there. Looks like a straight forward install.

./configure
make
make install (as root).

4. or was that a trick question?

5. Go habs (I'll pretend 1989 didn't happen if you pretend 1986 didn't).
"The 'WOW' actually started while they weren't looking.... ya bunch of posers" - Dave Yates

lizerazu

Post by lizerazu » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:16 pm

I also just noticed the date on this... do these just sit around for months? I guess someone might get a little how to compile stuff in linux for newbs from that.

I'll work on my reading skills.
"The 'WOW' actually started while they weren't looking.... ya bunch of posers" - Dave Yates

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 pm

lizerazu wrote: 2. I installed synergy for FC6 and ubuntu the other day and love every second of it. Of course this means I haven't installed it from source.
Also look into x2x, which seems to be more stable than syergy. But then again I haven't tried synergy in a year or so.
-Linc Fessenden

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

lizerazu

Post by lizerazu » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:00 am

In the last 2 weeks of using synergy I haven't noticed stability issues but I've noticed usability and configuration issues. I'm not sure how well it's designed.

I will look into x2x.

Thanks