Lug Changes

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

What do you think would be a good day for the LUG meetings?

Monday
No votes
Tuesday
No votes
Wednesday
No votes
Thursday
No votes
Friday
No votes
Saturday
83%
Sunday
17%

Total votes: 6

Linc
Site Admin

Lug Changes

Post by Linc » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:02 am

I posted an email about some changes in the LUG that we need to go over as Dann is moving out of the area. I just do not have the time/schedule to allow me to take over things again in the same manner that Dann has been doing them now, so please use this forum to discuss what you think we should do. Also, please participate in the poll abount a new date/time, etc..

-Linc.
-Linc Fessenden

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:09 am

I'm down for moving the meetings to the weekend. It would be a bit more relaxed and we could go longer if necessary. I think we could do some projects on the weekends that we couldn't do during the week. Maybe have an installfest every 3-6 months? Having the meeting at an alternate location would be a little more doable on the weekends. I'm sure an internet cafe wouldn'y mind if we walked in with 30 people on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Lately I haven't been to many meetings because Tuesday is not a good day for me. Just my .02
Ego contemno licentia

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:18 am

Patrick wrote:I'm down for moving the meetings to the weekend. It would be a bit more relaxed and we could go longer if necessary. I think we could do some projects on the weekends that we couldn't do during the week. Maybe have an installfest every 3-6 months? Having the meeting at an alternate location would be a little more doable on the weekends. I'm sure an internet cafe wouldn'y mind if we walked in with 30 people on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Lately I haven't been to many meetings because Tuesday is not a good day for me. Just my .02
I am glad you brought that up, even though you and Allan and I had spoken about it before. I too think weekend meetings might be a good idea. I know they would be way easier on my schedule. Anyone else want to chime in here?
-Linc Fessenden

bipolar

I voted....

Post by bipolar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:23 am

I voted Saturday. I can *never* make Tuesday meetings. I only ever made one, and that was long ago. Saturday is my day. I always keep those days flexable. I've been involved with the fledgling Kutztown Linux users group for a while now. The meetings there are usually the first Friday evening of the month. Although with School being out, and most of the members being students, this month might slip by. It's too bad that Kutztown is so far away from most of you. It's been pretty easy to get use of the computer lab and there is plenty of parking.
Anyway. Saturday meetings I could make.

Linc
Site Admin

Re: I voted....

Post by Linc » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 am

bipolar wrote:I voted Saturday. I can *never* make Tuesday meetings. I only ever made one, and that was long ago. Saturday is my day. I always keep those days flexable. I've been involved with the fledgling Kutztown Linux users group for a while now. The meetings there are usually the first Friday evening of the month. Although with School being out, and most of the members being students, this month might slip by. It's too bad that Kutztown is so far away from most of you. It's been pretty easy to get use of the computer lab and there is plenty of parking.
Anyway. Saturday meetings I could make.
I am with you. I have a very hard time getting free time during the week. It'd be so much easier for me if it were on the weekend anytime from friday evening on through sunday afternoon.
-Linc Fessenden

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm

I agree with Pat's idea about doing an installfest a few times a year. An occasional installfest might be a good way to keep the LUG active and perhaps spark an interest for both newbies and the seasoned Linux enthusiast.

My suggestion would be to do meetings on Saturdays. Perhaps make the meeting time early afternoons. Or, like Pat suggested, meet for lunch or coffee at a place that has Wi-fi.

If we can find a place to hosts installfests, we can begin those earlier, like, say, 10:00 am and then do a pizza break for lunch, which is what WPLUG (Western PA LUG) does. They meet at Carnegie Mellon. If anyone has any connections at a local college where we could get Internet access that would be a great place for installfests.

just my .02

Brian

keith

installfest locatiion

Post by keith » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 pm

If anyone has any connections at a local college where we could get Internet access that would be a great place for installfests.
We could probably do them at Lehigh. I certainly don't have any sort of pull around here, but I am technically a "senior computing consultant" (whatever that means).

Also, Lehigh has a student chapter of the ACM that would probably be delighted to be involved in an install-fest...