File System Choice

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Which file system do you use most?

ext2
20%
ext3
60%
ext4
No votes
xfs
20%
jfs
No votes
zfs
No votes
reiserfs
No votes

Total votes: 5

mobius111001

File System Choice

Post by mobius111001 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:21 am

I'm about to reformat my laptop. Typically, I use /boot, /home, and / partitions. /home and / I usually use xfs, and /boot gets good ole ext3. I'm curious as to what other people are using out there and why.

Esselle

Post by Esselle » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:03 am

It's a reach back as to why, but I ran into some limitations with ext2 with the application I was working with. At the moment I am only recalling part of the reason and it was (I think but please correct me if I am wrong here) it had to do with file size limits and allowing them to be configured to greater than a gig (or was it two gig). Anyway, going to ext3 allowed us to solve the problem, as some of the log records we were keeping in our app would get very large and therefore we always had to be sure we had ext3 installed (btw. This was on a work related computer system).

PS: Hello everyone, this is my first post. Its great to find this place. Just moved back to the LV after a decade "on the road".
*E*s*s*e*l*l*e*

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Esselle wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post. Its great to find this place. Just moved back to the LV after a decade "on the road".
Welcome back to the area. It seems the LVLUG mailing list is more active then the forum. You might want to subscribe here:
https://www.thelinuxlink.net/mailman/listinfo/lvlug
Ego contemno licentia

pthread

Post by pthread » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:21 pm

zfs is pretty awesome.