Community Wifi

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

pthread

Community Wifi

Post by pthread » Sun May 09, 2004 4:13 pm

I don't know if anyone is interested, because of the drive, but some philly2600 members and others are going to have a meeting wednesday night, at 8pm. The meeting is going to discuss the possibility of creating some sort of community wireless network in Philly.

Anyone is welcome, no prior wifi experience required, just a willingness to learn.

PM me if you are interested in attending.

Linc
Site Admin

Re: Community Wifi

Post by Linc » Mon May 10, 2004 9:20 pm

pthread wrote:I don't know if anyone is interested, because of the drive, but some philly2600 members and others are going to have a meeting wednesday night, at 8pm. The meeting is going to discuss the possibility of creating some sort of community wireless network in Philly.

Anyone is welcome, no prior wifi experience required, just a willingness to learn.

PM me if you are interested in attending.
I can't amke it of course because I am doing the Tech Show. HOWEVER, PLEASE do us a favor if you can and RECORD it (audio) if possible and send to us for inclusion of audio snippets on the Tech Show! (please remember to get permission from those you record)..
-Linc Fessenden

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

pthread

Post by pthread » Tue May 11, 2004 7:59 am

I would but i have no method of recording it. sorry! I guess I could just call and give you an update or something?

pthread

Post by pthread » Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 am

Oh and P.S. - you could do the tech show "live" on location!! :P

Linc
Site Admin

Post by Linc » Tue May 11, 2004 1:16 pm

pthread wrote:Oh and P.S. - you could do the tech show "live" on location!! :P
Um.. We do the Tech Show live every week! Hauling all our gear to Philly and getting it to work there would not be easy though :-)
-Linc Fessenden

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

chef8raygun2

Post by chef8raygun2 » Mon May 17, 2004 6:37 am

Um.. We do the Tech Show live every week! Hauling all our gear to Philly and getting it to work there would not be easy though
So does that leave out a live TLLTS show from 2005 CES in LasVegas?

You could get Microsoft to sponsor you....oopps, sorry. lol

pthread

Post by pthread » Mon May 17, 2004 9:08 am

So for an update on the meeting, we had six people show up, not too bad. We discussed the different forms a project like this could take on, first the standard "hey, here is a map of people who agree to share their bandwidth, enjoy", and then an approach more like what seattle wireless does, an independent network. We chose to go this route, as it will allow us to learn a lot more, and hopefully get around those pesky contracts people have with verizon and comcast.

So one of the attendees will be looking into what it takes to legally accept donations, and I will be working on building two "proof of concept" boxes, with which basically we will test long range wifi links. Hopefully i will be doing that this weekend, I ordered two ms 802.11g cards yesterday.

The next meeting information will be posted on the calendar for philly2600.com, if anyone is interested, check it out.