Help with the installation of Mozilla's Firefox

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Queenie

Help with the installation of Mozilla's Firefox

Post by Queenie » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:28 am

Help! I am a summer intern for a small, local company. This is the first time ive worked with Linux..i must say though i do like it...however my goal is to take old pc's install linux and create a client image. So i have to find a new email, web browser, data back up tool, etc. I have gone with evolution for the email client, mainly because it is most like outlook and that is what the employees are used to. However, i wanted to download firefox by mozilla because after doing research and taking part in other forums most suggested that i try it. I downloaded it but now im not sure what to do, its still in the tar. gz type and i know i have to go into a terminal and program but what im not sure...ive tried looking for installation directions via the computer but have had no luck...can anyone help?

Thanks!

mrben

Post by mrben » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:19 am

OK. Depending on which distribution you have, there may be a graphical tool for dealing with .tar.gz files. However, to deal with it from the command line, do the following:

1. Go to the directory where you wish to unpack the file (not necessarily where you downloaded it to - but make sure you have permission to write to that directory)

2. Use the tar command to untar the file as follows: tar zxvf myfile.tar.gz

You should now have a new directory, or at very least a new file (it's a long time since I installed Firefox in this manner :( ) - I think there is a script file (usually named install.sh) which you would run with sh install.sh
mrBen

Carpe Aptenodytes

JediMoose.org

pthread

Post by pthread » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:20 pm

Download, unzip, untar, and copy the resulting directory to '/usr/local' or any other good spot you like... that's all there is to it.

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:23 pm

Firefox does not have an install.sh file, or at least the versions I have run do not. It is basically a tarred up binary.

As root, choose the location you want to install firefox:

/opt (technically, I think this is the preffered
or
/usr/local

Then extract it there:

tar -C /opt xzvf firefox-???????.tar.gz

The create a symlink to a location in the users executable path. You'll probably want to stick with /usr/local/bin:

ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

Now no matter who logs in, they can launch firefox by just issing firefox, or you can create a menu item on preferred window manager.