Application

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Lauren

Application

Post by Lauren » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:48 am

Ok...another question! We are running linux desktop on the pc's and i now need to install a java "plug in" that will java applications to run on the linux machines...i tried installing the Java 2 Enterprise Edition 1.4 SDK (j2ee) and it still wont work...there is a certain oracle (11i) image that needs to come up on all these pc's...any other applications, besides j2ee? Thanks!!

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:52 am

I would guess that the j2sdk would have everything that the j2re (run time environment) has in it. How are these java apps being called? Is it through the web browser? If so it sounds like the plugin has not been enabled in your browser.

You are using firefox, right? In the address bar type:

about:plugins

I doubt you see java there.

On my workstation, which is a slack current machine I made a symlink to the java plugin like so:

ln -s /usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/firefox/plugins

Now the location of your java plugin and firefox will probably differ. In the java plugins directory you may find number of directories for different versions of firefox. I had to use the ns610-gcc32 version for Firefox 0.8. The others just crashed the browser. So therefore, do some testing!

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:00 pm

thank you soo much!!

I typed that in and youre rite i dont see it there...actually all i see is a "all types" in a description category and a "yes" in an enabled category....what does this mean?

I am currently running firefox, yes, and its firefox 0.8.....

Also, yes the applets are being called thru the web browser and then will need a plug in.....

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:04 pm

All you need to do is find where j2sdk has installed the browser, and it is probably under /usr/lib/java /jre/plugins/i386

That is based on my system, Yours may differ..

Make a symlink as above.