Installation of Samba

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Lauren

Installation of Samba

Post by Lauren » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:57 pm

I just downloaded samba 3.0.4....now i have to install it but i have noo idea how to do it...help!! The other intern i am working with just gave me a stack of books and said it will take me about a week!!! I just really need samba to help the linux pcs access drives shares....will it really take a week and where do i even start to begin installing it??
Thanks!!

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:07 pm

Did you download the samba sources? If so you need to do the old:

./configure
make
make install

After unpacking the sources. If they are a gzipped tar ball that's:

tar xzf samba-??????

What you will probably want to look into downloading is the rpm for your version of RedHat (that is the distro you are using correct?). Then it is simply:

rpm -Uvh samba-????.rpm

Of course you will probably need to grab any dependencies during the process.

Lauren

Installation of samba

Post by Lauren » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:15 pm

I actually found this 9 step solution where i was to use tar xvfz ~/samba-3.0.4.tar.gz, then i had to read the README, etc. and the 7th step was for me to type ./configure and that will not work for me, i am to 8) type make and then at 9) make install...but i cant do any of htat because ./configure does not work. After i type ./configure and try to run it it says no file or directory???

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:37 pm

you are in the top directory of the samba sources when you issue ./configure, right? If you do ls, you should see a file in there called configure.

Lauren

Samba

Post by Lauren » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:14 am

No, i do not have that option...is this where the problem lies then?

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:23 pm

If you look at Part VI (Appendixes) Chapter 35 section 4 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf included in the top level of the samba source it tells you that you need to compile samba under the source directory. Therefore, you need to cd samba-3.0.4/source and then do ./configure. That is where you will find configure, in the source directory.

Lauren

Samba

Post by Lauren » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:41 am

Hello!

Dann...thanks soo much for all of this help...i feel bad, esp for being soo dumb w/linux...

I was able to cd samba-3.0.4 but its still staying that ./configure is no such file or directory! :(

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:34 am

cd samba-3.0.4/source

The configure file is in the source directory under samb-3.0.4 directory.

Lauren

Samba

Post by Lauren » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:56 am

Ok, great!! I got it to configure...its no longer saying no such directory or path...HOWEVER, there is now an error, but thats ok, rite? haha

the error is: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

what does this mean??

(once i entered the ./configure this came up:
checking for gcc...no
checking for cc...no
checking for cc...no
checking for cl...no
-is any of that bad?)

Thanks!

pthread

Post by pthread » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:43 pm

When you originally installed it you apparently didn't install development tools, you are going to need to get gcc (and some of the other tidbits that go along with it... )

What release are you using? With some like Fedora you can pop in the cd and just click to install the "development tools" and it will add them. That is the easiest route.

Lauren

Samba

Post by Lauren » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:51 pm

Hello...again!

I am using linux 9, shrike.....so where do i get this gcc and the other tidbits that i need?? and how do i know what all i need?

Lauren

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:55 pm

I take it that you mean Red Hat Linux 9.0 yes?

Did you do the installs for these systems? As PThread said the developmental tools are not installed.

While I am a big supporter of installing the Developmental tools, I think it may be more to your advantage to install Samba from rpm. The rpm should be on the Red Hat 9.0 cds.

Pop the cd in, mount it, change to the cdrom directory and look under the RedHat/RPMS directory. You shoud find Samba in there. Now I will have to defer to RedHat users on the best tool for installing RPM's on RedHat. Typically I use rpm from the command line to do this.

pthread

Post by pthread » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:06 pm

Being an ex-Red Hatter I can say there is a graphical tool, but I will have to agree the command line is a better way to learn (because you don't always have graphical mode).

So mount the cd's, look through them for the samba rpm (or you could always download a new one...) and do:

Code: Select all

rpm -ivh name-of-rpm.rpm
Obviously making sure you are in the same directory as that rpm...

In addition I would install the development tools anyway... at some point you will likely have to build something from source... might as well get the required tools now. For those I recommend using the graphical program, and just selecting to install all "development tools". This is because there are a bunch of different rpms that are required, and just installing them all with the graphical program is easier than figuring out which ones you need.

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:50 am

I suggest you head here: http://www.informit.com/promotion/1041 and start downloading some of the books at the bottom of the page. The last is a nice little Samba 3 how-to.