Now what

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Lauren

Now what

Post by Lauren » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:42 am

Ok, I have samba up and running...but now im confused....

the purpose of me installing and configuring samba was to be able to access drive shares (o,p and q) how do i go about doing that now??

pthread

Post by pthread » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:13 am

So do you want to access the drives on a windows machine, or do you want ot make stuff available to windows machines on your linux box?

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:15 am

I want to be able to access the shared drives from my linux machine...the drives are on our windows machines...so i want to make stuff available!

pthread

Post by pthread » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:38 am

Easy!

Code: Select all

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword //ipaddressofwindowsbox/foldertoshare /mnt/mountpoint
Obviously, make sure you create the mountpoint folder first, name it whatever you want... also, I suppose you could use a dns name instead of an ip address for the windows box if you guys have a dns server. Let us know if you have any issues with it.

Oh, and this command is all on one line, it was just too big

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:11 pm

Look into LinNeighborhood and/or XFSamba. There is also a KDE browser called Komba, I think.