What's yer distro?

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Twiggy

What's yer distro?

Post by Twiggy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Yep ~ Possibly a flame war :D but there's a decent mix of gurus and n00bs in this forum/LUG/mailing list, so whats the pick of the gurus and what do the n00bs like?

I'm a newly discovered Gentoo addict :D
"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines."

Patrick
Site Admin

Re: What's yer distro?

Post by Patrick » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:06 pm

Twiggy wrote:I'm a newly discovered Gentoo addict :D
You must have a fast machine! Nothing like a 3 day install on a 800mhz machine . I've tried them all except maybe Suse. Slackware all the way baby!
Ego contemno licentia

pthread

Post by pthread » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:49 pm

I just dropped Gentoo, I am trying Mandrake right now... not really liking mandrake too much. I generally change every few months. I tried to go with slack... nothing *happens* when it goes to install at the end. Any ideas?

mrben

Post by mrben » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:53 am

I'm a Debian man, and have been for about 18 months now. The install is not as pretty, or all-encompassing, as some, but the package management is second-to-none and it seems to run just fine on all the boxes I've had it on, both old (P120 laptop) and new (Athlon 1900XP desktop)
mrBen

Carpe Aptenodytes

JediMoose.org

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:02 pm

You must have a fast machine! Nothing like a 3 day install on a 800mhz machine.
My brand new HP hv5160 w/ 2.8ghz P4m, 512mb RAM, and 60gb HD :D
The install is actually taking a while nonetheless :? Stage 2 install.
I've tried them all except maybe Suse. Slackware all the way baby!
I'm a big SuSE user, been on it for almost a year now on my main box. I'll be completely migrating to Gentoo come Fall when I have broadband back up at school though. SuSE is fantastic for a simple, stable desktop. Slack on the other hand is a Godsend for old machines. The install is simple enough to be easy, but complex enough to get any necessary configuration in. I have it running on my 150mhz laptop :D
"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines."

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:44 pm

Slackware, slackware, slackware!

I also use Gentoo on PPC. That's a great distrobution. Very involved though.

I used to like SuSE, but the last few times I used it, it was just too damn slow and pokey. Kind of going the way Mandrake went.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:08 pm

I just installed Arch Linux 0.6 and I must say I was impressed. As they suggested, I did a base install (about 250 MB) and then did pacman -Syu to update everything. When I rebooted to the updated kernel I was running Arch 0.7. There's been some chatter on the IRC about it and everyone who's used it seems to like it. Give it a try.

Judland

Post by Judland » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:43 pm

I'm partial to my ALT Linux Compact 2.3

I'm a big WindowMaker fan and ALT has the best version of WM I've ever used.

The support community is also a great buch of folks. Also has one of the larger specialty repositories available for a distro.

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:00 am

I picked up a spare drive to do a dedicated Mythtv box. I tried Knoppmyth and regular Debian but wound up installing Fedora Core2. I found a nice fedora/myth/ivtv how-to (http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/) and it works like a champ. This is my first experience with anything related to RH in over 4 years. I was pleasantly surprised with Fedora2 especially with apt-get installed (pointing to all the extra repositories). I know RH/Fedora gets bashed but I have to say I was impressed. Slackware is still my main distro though :)
Ego contemno licentia

dstate

my distro

Post by dstate » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:39 am

anything but ricer gentoo. :twisted:
--
"The complexity of software is an essential property not an accidental one."
--Brooks

percent20

Post by percent20 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:57 pm

openSuse 10.0 Beta 2
.NET rules

no1important

Post by no1important » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm

I have installed Kanotix and I have a Ubuntu live CD I run now and then. Those are the only two I am familiar with. Kanotix runs so good I really have no need to install another distro but I am willing to try out new distro's on Live Cd's. But it would have to be one hell of a distro to get me to switch.

Wally Balljacker

Post by Wally Balljacker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:42 pm

I started playing around with Knoppix in late 2004, then did my first hard disk install with Mandrake around March 2005. Then I moved onto Fedora, and then Ubuntu for a few months, and now I'm on standard Debian right now, and love it.

Vogateer

Gentoo.

Post by Vogateer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:43 pm

I use Gentoo for my main desktop. It is involved, and it's the first distro I used after I tried Red Hat a few years ago.

I've never understood why gentoo draws so many negative attitudes. I use Linux in part because computers are a hobby for me, and I enjoy messing around with them and trying new things, so I don't mind that Gentoo is more involved than other distros like Ubuntu, and that the install takes a couple of days. I like doing that stuff, and I first installed gentoo from stage 1 precisely because it seemed like it would be a challenge. Now that I've installed it and grown accustomed to it's ways, it's a bit hard to give it up completely.

I think it's an impressive distro, and gives you great flexibility and control with USE flags, and installing applications with portage, while time consuming, is usually ridiculously easy. Whenever I was a newbie (like I'm not a newbie now :lol:), I managed to mess some stuff up, and in that process I discovered that Gentoo has an impressive community, quite a bit of documentation, and I've received a lot of help, and given it out occasionally, on their forums. If anyone has more documentation than gentoo, please point it out, because I didn't understand how useful good documentation is until I started using linux for a while.

So compiling does take some time, but during the install, I started the bootstrap at night, and went to sleep, did a few steps the next morning, went to work, came back and did a few more steps, went to bed again, and by the next day it was finished. If you don't like that idea, install from stage 3, and you'll be done in very little time. Once you get it going, you just install the big stuff at night, or set the niceness level if you really want to compile while you're working on it, and then you'll never really notice it in the background.

As for other distros, I've also installed Ubuntu on my sister's laptop, and I set it up to dual boot, but once her Windows XP crashed on her, she never bothered to ask me to put it back on, and has been using linux ever since. I didn't even find out that Windows XP crashed until over a month after the fact. Of course, she only let me put Ubuntu on her laptop because I pestered her for ages before she even received it, telling her she should let me try it out, leveraging the inevitability of her needing my tech support sooner or later, but now she's quite happy with it, and I don't get tech support calls near as often.

I'm using Ubuntu for my little web server, and it seems to be a great distro as well. I really don't understand why people have such fiery debates about distros and desktop environments, either. I've tried KDE and Gnome, and I think both of them are pretty slick. I generally prefer the look of gnome, and a couple of the GTK apps are essential, like the Gimp, Firefox and Inkscape, but I prefer the programs and the ability to customize KDE, so I use it instead.

Gentoo, Ubuntu, Knoppix, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, XFCE, and fluxbox. I've tried them all, and liked them all. Now that I'm looking at it, you should take my critiques with a grain of salt, since I'm a little too much like Don Giovanni, only instead of women, I love linux. For him, every woman had something beautiful about them, the big ones were majestic, while the little ones were simply delightful, for me, most linux distros and programs are the same way, there's usually something beautiful about all of them.

Justice

Post by Justice » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:43 pm

I have been running linux for about 2 years first I used RH9 and tryed fedora core 3&4, man I have RH. after that I wet to slak :P and debian. I like the stability slack offers but I like the .deb package manager espechialy synaptic. But slackware is my main choice.
Knowlage is Power