FREE!!

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Lauren

FREE!!

Post by Lauren » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:49 am

For my project, I now have to find a desktop to deploy on these computers. I have looked into SUSE, Redhat Desktop, Xandros, and even though i like what i see i need it to be FREE, if possible....where can i find some free business desktops linux solutions?? Is there even any available??

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:17 am

SuSE is the distro I've always found to be best for non-computer people, as well as for standard business use. Although, it's not free :? On the other hand, you only really need to buy one copy, and based on what kind of system administration you'll be doing, you may not even need to buy the Professional version. Suse 9.1 Personal comes with only RPM's, no devel packages, and only KDE. Professional gives you devel packages, as well as tools (such as GCC) and the GNOME desktop (which tends to be favored for a work desktop).

Since the licensing allows you to legally copy the discs however, you could definately get away with one copy. Personal edition is now downloadable off of Suse's website I believe.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines."

fingolfin

Re: FREE!!

Post by fingolfin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:10 pm

Lauren wrote:For my project, I now have to find a desktop to deploy on these computers. I have looked into SUSE, Redhat Desktop, Xandros, and even though i like what i see i need it to be FREE, if possible....where can i find some free business desktops linux solutions?? Is there even any available??
Maybe this? http://www.elxlinux.com/
I'm so happy
'Cause today I found my friends
They're in my head

Judland

Post by Judland » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:11 pm

http://www.altlinux.com Alt Linux Master 2.2 or Compact 2.3

Free, with upgrades provided via their Apt-get repositories.