Cron entries

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Twiggy

Cron entries

Post by Twiggy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:21 am

I need mySamba server to backup a small amount of data to a Zip disk on a regular basis. How can I configure Cron to do this for me?
"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines."

pthread

Post by pthread » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:21 pm

Write a script to do the backup itself, then 'man crontab' it should tell you everything you need to know.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:24 pm

I need to use absolute path's for commands right? All the documentation I've been reading has made it look like this is the case.

On another note, how can I configure a parallel external Zip drive? I dunno how to tell which /dev/ file it's used by.

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:13 pm

The parallel zip drive will be detected as a scsi device. When the module is loaded in you can probably determine what the device is by running dmesg. If the device is attached at boot, chances are the module is loaded and it is ready to go. Again, dmesg |less will allow you to scroll through the boot messages and find what device your zip drive has been assigned too.

For instance, if it is the only scsi device is may be /dev/sda0.

As for absolute paths in your script for cron or in cron in general, you cannot go wrong using absolute paths.

pthread

Post by pthread » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Absolute paths own you...

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:43 am

I followed the instructions for the Zip drive, and I'm not getting any mounting of the module at boot...what's the module called? Maybe if I manually insmod it I can get it working :o/

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:51 am

The module I use is ppa. It is under the scsi drivers. There is a <a href="http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ZIP-Drive.html">zip drive howto</a> over at the linux doc project:

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:57 am

Hmm...took me a while but it looks like I use imm to find the Zip drive. Works though. Whats the best way to modprobe this module (and parport) on bootup? The drive will need to be mounted all the time.