SMB Client

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Lauren

SMB Client

Post by Lauren » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:40 am

Ok, so now im to work on smb client and get it up and running...

first can someone explain what this is and what its used for and then explain how to get it up and running??

Thanks!

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:29 am

SMB client would be the client to a Samba server. Samba is a server application used to unify *nix systems and Windows systems over a network. So you could use a Samba server to act as a file or printer server for a network composed of Windows PC's or connect to a Windows network with a Linux PC by using the Samba client and the net join command (in Samba 3).

http://www.samba.org is where you can find the source code. It's incredibly well documented, and I suggest poking through that website to learn more. I just recently setup a server at work that's a Suse Linux Samba 3.0.4 server for filesharing. It authenticates over our Windows 2000 PDC located in Princeton and has yet to crash :oD.

This documentation you'll find particularly helpful: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines."

Lauren

smb client

Post by Lauren » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:07 am

I am using smb client for 2 purposes really:

1) to have all the linux pcs bring up the shared drives our company keeps databases and files in

2) To access the printers so the linux pcs can print to any printer, which id have to add all the printers

So do i really need to make it a server, i didnt think that i did! I didnt know where to start, really???? :cry:

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:23 am

As far as I know you do need at least one server before you can have any clients. The server just regulates what clients behave in what way. So if you have ClientA, ClientB, and ClientC, the server has the configuration files on it that say /home/ClientA is public, /home/ClientB is private, but /mnt/Shared is public and writeable. PrinterA is useable by all 3 clients, and PrinterB (which is connected to ClientB) is useable by ClientA and B.

Read into how the smb.conf file works, it'll make more sense then.

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:18 am

Ok, i will look into getting a server setup...i didnt think i needed that for what im doing...

Also, i went tried this new line of code and it told me to type the following:

smbclient -V (which i did and it brought up the version info like the tutorial said it would if my samba was installed correctly)

then i typed: smbclient -U <userid> -L <name of maching trying to connect to>

(then it said it would prompt me for my password, which it did)

*heres the problem though, when i type in my password i get:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

can anyone tell me what this means and why it is doing that?? I know my password is correct i even tried logging off both machines using that password and its not working.....

Thanks!

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:30 am

Have you joined the domain/workgroup with that machine yet? If you're on Samba 3.0.4 you'll want to look into net join (man net) if it's Samba 2.2 you'll want to use smbpasswd -j

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:54 am

No, i havent...ok i will look into net join now. Thanks!!

pthread

Post by pthread » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:20 pm

The windows machines will act as servers in your case.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:23 pm

The windows machines will act as servers in your case.
Correcto, and if your usernames and passwords are saved on the Windows server you'll need to join the domain AND authenticate from the Windows servers. Look into authentification using a Windows PDC in the Samba docs to find out the steps for doing this.