LTSP.... going to give it a try.

Have a question for the lug and you are not a member of the mailing list? Or you just want to start a discussion here, go right ahead.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Judland

LTSP.... going to give it a try.

Post by Judland » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:34 pm

I'm going to see if, over the weekend, I can get a system running with the LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) running.

Anyone here have any experience setting up a Linux server with dumb terminals for their office / home desktop needs?

If so, any advice or "hidden tricks" you like to share with me as I begin my journey into the realm of Linux servers?

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:40 pm

Not me, although I have been interested. I just never got around to getting two machines together to give it a try.

Judland

Post by Judland » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:27 pm

I finally have a chance at trying it. The office off-loaded some older PCs today and I was able to pick up a PII. It should be enough to at least get a server running with LTSP and I have an even older PI sitting around doing nothing.

I'd use our main PC, but my wife would kill me if I did started monkeying around with the one computer she uses each and every day.

Once I get my feet wet with the disposable systems, then I'll have the confidence to know what I'm doing and claim our 1.2Ghz machine for a server.

The concept of LTSP is very appealing to me. Being able to access my files and desktop from any PC in the house is a great idea.

davijordan

Post by davijordan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:28 am

I tried edubuntu but it was finicky about clients. I love ltsp, but I am not expert by any means. Can not wait to try minne-xterm (ltsp on steroids). I used the canned k12ltsp fedora core isos to set it up though. my server is a duron 800 with 1/2 gig of ram to push four terminals with donated 19 inch monitor's. My original clients were p1- 200's. A friend bought over his win 2k server and all the stations accessed it via rdesktop. to make things more fun we had a mac (g3) running os/x and used the clients to access it via vnc. it was awesome to see ms and os/x on a diskless pentium one computer . Of course we were showing off the open source software also. The clients have since been updated to dell gx110's. I need to upgrade the server though with my better half's permission. It is nice only to have to update just on machine instead of many. we also use qemu to play with other distros. LINUX is AWSOME!!! as is the tllts. I talk too much. try it your will like it.

ps just a note that you can do terminal server test run with a live knoppix cd, but the clients really need to be able to pxe boot. (it was slow though the last time i tried it.
Judland wrote:I finally have a chance at trying it. The office off-loaded some older PCs today and I was able to pick up a PII. It should be enough to at least get a server running with LTSP and I have an even older PI sitting around doing nothing.

I'd use our main PC, but my wife would kill me if I did started monkeying around with the one computer she uses each and every day.

Once I get my feet wet with the disposable systems, then I'll have the confidence to know what I'm doing and claim our 1.2Ghz machine for a server.

The concept of LTSP is very appealing to me. Being able to access my files and desktop from any PC in the house is a great idea.

flickerfly

Post by flickerfly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:38 pm

I co-wrote some Gentoo documentation for LTSP. If anyone is playing with this, I'm interested, but have been unable to find a good use for it for quite awhile. I'm now a Ubuntu user also, but still a big fan of Gentoo as a great way to really understand the Linux world in a deep way. There's nothing like having to compile your own kernel. That's where you really get to learn things. :-)

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ltsp.xml