Lineak

General discussion of show topics and feedback.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

CptnObvious999

Lineak

Post by CptnObvious999 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:12 pm

You might remember me talking about Lineak on LaGER episode 2 and saying how not all the keys worked and I said I'd look into a fix. I wasn't lying, however this is somewhat hard so noobies be warned.

First off find what keys don't work by following the instructions that I gave on episode 2. Then run xev in the terminal and try pressing the keys that didn't work. If you get any KeyPress and KeyRelease events for any of those keys you can manually edit .lineak/lineakkb.def and .lineak/lineakd.conf with the keycode from xev. If it doesn't spit out any keys check if the end of the /var/log/messages says anything about unknown scan codes from atkbd.c cat /var/log/messages. If it does you have to do what it says and add the setkeycodes to the end of /etc/rc.sysinit if it exists or add a new script like /etc/init.d/setkeys and add the commands to the place where it says [COMMANDS] in this script:

Code: Select all

#!/sbin/runscript

start() {
        [COMMANDS]
}
then save it and make it executable chmod +x /etc/init.d/setkeys and make it startup at boot (on gentoo this is done by rc-update add setkeys default) and restart your computer.

After it has restarted I deleted my .lineak/lineakkb.def and .lineak/lineakd.conf in my home directory and set it back up again using klineakconfig and the keys should work now. If not make sure you did everything right. After you set it up start up lineakd and everything should work perfectly. If you get a Xlib error go here and at the bottom of the page I gave a workaround.

If something in here didn't work or you are having trouble go ahead and reply and maybe I can help.

CptnObvious999

Post by CptnObvious999 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:50 pm

.xinitrc doesn't start lineakd anymore for some reason. I have tried editing a bunch of other config files and none start lineakd automatically. I could keep klineakconfig running in my system tray which can run lineakd and I can manually type it and it will run but thats an annoyance. Any ideas on how to start it automatically or why the .xinitrc is no longer starting it? The only thing I did was add those extra keys and I have since been working to get it to automatically start.

Also Im not sure is that init file is syntactically corrent.

Ryochan7

Post by Ryochan7 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:31 am

Here are a couple of alternatives to using xinitrc:

1) I don't think that this will work when using a graphical login manager but xinitrc wouldn't work with one either so I guess that it doesn't matter. Edit the script in /etc/X11/Sessions for the WM/DE that you use and add "lineakd &" without the quotes before the last line of the script (exec whatever).
2) I'm assuming that you are using KDE so here is the method that I currently use to load lineakd. Make a script in ~/.kde/Autostart that includes "lineakd &" without the quotes and the script will be executed when KDE loads.
Linux User #357977
LUGOP is awesome

CptnObvious999

Post by CptnObvious999 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks Ryochan7 the second suggestion works.