Best Distro for Linux gaming?

General discussion of show topics and feedback.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

dookiesmack

Best Distro for Linux gaming?

Post by dookiesmack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 pm

After listening to the last LaGER. I did not get a clear understanding of what people feel is the best distro for gaming. Which do you guys feel has had the least amount of problems using Cedega or Native gaming....?or does it just come down to preference.

CptnObvious999

Post by CptnObvious999 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:34 pm

I think we tried to remain neutral so we didn't offend any fanboys and just went away from that topic. Starting a flame war is definately not something you want to do especially on the second episode ;-)

BTW that was not the last episode of LaGER that was episode 2, episode 3 was released late sunday be we won't announce it on the forums anymore since you all have podcatchers and rss readers :wink:

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:48 pm

CptnObvious999 wrote:I think we tried to remain neutral so we didn't offend any fanboys and just went away from that topic. Starting a flame war is definately not something you want to do especially on the second episode ;-)
Exactly, CptnObvious999 and I don't want hate mail on our first episode! :P

CptnObvious999 wrote:BTW that was not the last episode of LaGER that was episode 2, episode 3 was released late sunday be we won't announce it on the forums anymore since you all have podcatchers and rss readers :wink:
If you like "playful banter" (Or whatever the TLLTS intro says) episode #3 of LaGER is THE show for ya! :lol: :wink: :D :P

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

xafan

Post by xafan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 am

Tsuroerusu wrote:
CptnObvious999 wrote:I think we tried to remain neutral so we didn't offend any fanboys and just went away from that topic. Starting a flame war is definately not something you want to do especially on the second episode ;-)
Exactly, CptnObvious999 and I don't want hate mail on our first episode! :P

CptnObvious999 wrote:BTW that was not the last episode of LaGER that was episode 2, episode 3 was released late sunday be we won't announce it on the forums anymore since you all have podcatchers and rss readers :wink:
If you like "playful banter" (Or whatever the TLLTS intro says) episode #3 of LaGER is THE show for ya! :lol: :wink: :D :P
Yeah... that's sort of my fault, I was kind of just waking up...

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:08 am

xafan wrote:Yeah... that's sort of my fault, I was kind of just waking up...
Nah, I think it was me digressing too much and not taking enough notes :P

xafan

Post by xafan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:46 am

Oh and I sort of said that I hated Java or something... Hate mail... yay...

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:51 pm

after my opinion there are 2 choices when going for a god gaming linux distro.

Either you go for the easy install or the kinda easy install that means opensuse, ubuntu or someting similar. Something with a good packet manager and a good reposetory.

The other way is the simple way. build everything. lfs, gentoo, freebsd(If u need unix :D) or some of the smaller linux distro's.
The simply will give a slight posibillity of an performance enhancement because you compile a lot of your software.

i have tried both of the ways and the "ubuntu" (yah i know) is easy when talking about already native apps in linux alot these will be there. but the recompiling of wine and stuff will be a "bit" harder.

Btw. nice to see a dane who listen to tllts/lager. btw. btw u talk to much T :D

oki and now the disclamer. I'm not a big smart ass linux/unix guy, you are most likely a better linux guy than me so don't flame me. This was my thoughts, if you have any please give some info not just flame me :D

All spelling errors please blame the beer :D (Carlsberg is da bomb)

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Magenta wrote:Either you go for the easy install or the kinda easy install that means opensuse, ubuntu or someting similar.
I've been into this before, and I don't think I need to go into it again, please listen to the interview with Michael Löffler on episode #133 of TLLTS. :P

Magenta wrote:Something with a good packet manager and a good reposetory.
What I think makes SUSE, Fedora and Mandriva good for gaming is that they are good at setting X up correctly so you get a good refresh rate on your monitor and a good resolution.

Magenta wrote:The other way is the simple way. build everything. lfs, gentoo, freebsd(If u need unix :D) or some of the smaller linux distro's.
The simply will give a slight posibillity of an performance enhancement because you compile a lot of your software.
Since you can't recompile the game, in most cases, you don't really gain much of a performance enhancement, it's not something you would notice, I can assure you of that.

Magenta wrote:i have tried both of the ways and the "ubuntu" (yah i know) is easy when talking about already native apps in linux alot these will be there. but the recompiling of wine and stuff will be a "bit" harder.
'ey, you should use whatever works best for you man! :wink:

Magenta wrote:Btw. nice to see a dane who listen to tllts/lager. btw. btw u talk to much T :D
You're from Denmark? Awesome man, good to see ya around these shores :wink:
Yeah I know I should talk less, but 'ey LaGER #2 was the first podcast I've ever done, so please do bare with me a little on this one.

Magenta wrote:oki and now the disclamer. I'm not a big smart ass linux/unix guy, you are most likely a better linux guy than me so don't flame me. This was my thoughts, if you have any please give some info not just flame me :D
'ey, there's a reason for the first amendment! :wink:

Magenta wrote:All spelling errors please blame the beer :D (Carlsberg is da bomb)
I don't really drink beer, so I can't tell, but my friends say it's good :wink:
Last edited by Tsuroerusu on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetza

Post by thetza » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:52 pm

personally I'd prefer a live CD a la knoppix for gaming. automatic hardware detection, no hassle of installing, and the eye-candy I usually wouldn't have on my main machine.

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:54 pm

thetza wrote:personally I'd prefer a live CD a la knoppix for gaming. automatic hardware detection, no hassle of installing, and the eye-candy I usually wouldn't have on my main machine.
I doubt you could play Unreal Tournament 2004 with a LiveCD :lol: :P

thetza

Post by thetza » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:22 pm

Tsuroerusu wrote:
thetza wrote:personally I'd prefer a live CD a la knoppix for gaming. automatic hardware detection, no hassle of installing, and the eye-candy I usually wouldn't have on my main machine.
I doubt you could play Unreal Tournament 2004 with a LiveCD :lol: :P
its technically feasible given enough ram. not legal though.

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:26 pm

thetza wrote:its technically feasible given enough ram. not legal though.
Dude, a heavy-ass game like Unreal Tournament 2004 that takes up like 5 CDs, the load times, if you were to play it off a CD would just be terrible and the game would lag because the CD couldn't be read fast enough, it would not work in reality, technically it proably would, but in reality it wouldn't.

thetza

Post by thetza » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:32 am

Tsuroerusu wrote:
thetza wrote:its technically feasible given enough ram. not legal though.
Dude, a heavy-ass game like Unreal Tournament 2004 that takes up like 5 CDs, the load times, if you were to play it off a CD would just be terrible and the game would lag because the CD couldn't be read fast enough, it would not work in reality, technically it proably would, but in reality it wouldn't.
:-/ then I guess we can tell those gamix guys their wasting their time.

Judah

Post by Judah » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Not everyone uses podcatchers, aggregators, and rss readers..

I still do the clickety-click. :lol:

So, I didn't realise a new episode was out.. 8)

I guess I'll start checking the LAGER website, if no announcements of new episodes
will be posted in the forums any longer..

SHALOM!
Judah