Current state of Cedega

General discussion of show topics and feedback.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Patrick
Site Admin

Current state of Cedega

Post by Patrick » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:32 am

Article on the current state of Cedega:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/25/1726224
Ego contemno licentia

Wally Balljacker

Post by Wally Balljacker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 am

I've been tinkering with Cedega for the past few days, and it's far from perfect. It still feels like a pretty GUI on top of WINE (which it basically is). I've tried a handful of games, and ironically, the only one I could get running was Quake 2, which runs natively on Linux. :lol: For anyone serious about playing Windows games, the best option is still Windows.

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Wally Balljacker wrote:For anyone serious about playing Windows games, the best option is still Windows.
It really depends on which games people are playing, and what graphics card they have.

If you plan on running Cedega with an ATi card, forget about! There are so many things in Cedega that solely doesn't work because ATi's drivers are so crappy.

I have found that Warcraft III and Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne actually runs better on Cedega than they do on Windows.

Of course there other games like The Sims 2 that doesn't work at all, which is unfortunate.

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

schotty

Post by schotty » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:45 pm

I have been a subscriber to Transgaming since their 2nd month in existence. If you want to play the latest games, they are your only hope. I use them to play Steam games, EVE, CoV/CoH, and Far Cy. There are a few others, but thats what I am playing now and with Cedega. The community Wiki shows the compatibility:
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Main_Page

Really, few companies are getting linux ports of any games, and most contain the words iD and Ryan Gordon. Quake 4 was great, I bought the DVD set. As is UT2004. But there is more to gaming the FPS. The Ship, EVE, Civ 4, Oblivion, Kohan, and Need For Speed are proof.

Until the gaming companies get it, Cedega prevents me from needed to dual boot. My comments on the podcast were with regards to the Linux guys (TG) doing the work for a game company and it taking nearly a month to get it implemented. Yet once again we get shafted....

BTW Eve was fixed the following week after my rant.