PAYBACK for the GP2X

General discussion of show topics and feedback.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Judland

PAYBACK for the GP2X

Post by Judland » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:22 pm

Dann, you've got to go and download the demo for Payback... a new game for the GP2X. Download here. It's a 3D crime action adventure game, steal cars, take on the Mafia, escape prisons or just go on a bloody rampage.

Just played the demo myself. The graphics are awesome and the sound effects and music are really good, too.

Judland

Post by Judland » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:38 am

Want to hear something funny in this game? Hi-jack a "Greyhound" bus full of people. As you crash into other cars and objects you hear the screams of the terrified passengers.

You can also hi-jack a police car and drive around with the lights and siren going. Then head over to the park and run over the KKK assembling for a protest. :twisted: :lol:

I have to say that the graphics for this game are spectacular. And the game is really smooth. The vehicles also handle realistically, as they pitch and roll when making sharp turns.

This is a MUST BUY for the GP2X owner.

Wally Balljacker

Post by Wally Balljacker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:44 am

Looks like a clone of GTA, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd love to get a GP2X, although I'm cash strapped at the moment. Maybe I can swing one for Christmas. Looks like there's some good stuff for GP2X available.

Judland

Post by Judland » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 am

Wally Balljacker wrote:Looks like a clone of GTA, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd love to get a GP2X, although I'm cash strapped at the moment. Maybe I can swing one for Christmas. Looks like there's some good stuff for GP2X available.
I've never played GTA, but yes, the games are very similar to one another. I'm just amazed at what the game makers are able to get out of the GP2X (in the way of 3D graphics) without having 3D specific hardware inside.

The game makers also comment on this handheld game being the first to have "dynamic range lighting".
New for the GP2X: Full high dynamic range lighting - a first on a handheld machine. The lighting in scene is calculated based on the real laws of physics - so a red wall illuminated by bright sunlight will tint the environment around it red, sunlight dazzles the player, street lamps leave trails, vision takes a moment to adapt when you enter a dark alleyway.
Kind of cool. I'll be placing my order for the full game this week, for sure.