Have Dann's daughter on again

Show suggestions, recommendations for guest/games and all that. Not the place for questions.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

granduke

Have Dann's daughter on again

Post by granduke » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Now that school is over, I hope Dann will have his daugher on again. I am able to find games that I will like, but it's more difficult locating games good for my young son. It would be cool to have Dann's daughter come on occasionally and review kid friendly games.

godzero

Post by godzero » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Very good point. I am an adult male.. so I know what games I like in the FOSS/Linux world; but I also have 3 daughters and 1 son. Games for them are also high on my list. The most popular games with them have been closed-source games (namely Freddy fish, and scooby-doo) under windows.

Any help here appreciated.

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:31 pm

godzero wrote:Very good point. I am an adult male..
Dude, that was an awfully disturbing beginning of a reply. :P :lol:

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

godzero

Post by godzero » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Tsuroerusu wrote:
godzero wrote:Very good point. I am an adult male..
Dude, that was an awfully disturbing beginning of a reply. :P :lol:
EWW, ya gave me the heebe-jeebies.
:P

eddie

Re: Have Dann's daughter on again

Post by eddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:08 am

My daughter can play whatever she wants (within reason). But we do try to show her as much open source as can. Sooner or later, you appreciate open source software more after you have played with proprietary software. Besides I think she might take a liking to developing her own programs eventually.

BertVK

Re: Have Dann's daughter on again

Post by BertVK » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:11 am

My 3 year old daughter has her own portable (PIII with 64MB of RAM) running Debian Lenny.
I installed GCompris on there straight from the repos and she loves it.

She boots up and just waits for the desktop to appear (auto log in) and then just presses the flag key, I don't want her to get accustomed to the name "Windows" :-D, and the M key. Her name is Margot, so she recognizes the first letter of her name easily. A little shell script makes sure she can only run one instance at the same time.

She loves the GCompris environment. Every time she plays I see her progress to more and more difficult games. Her eye-hand coordination has progressed a lot since she first played.

GCompris is very much recommended.
Bert