Python problem with levelator in fiesty

Study group dedicated to learning how to code in the Python language.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

dann
Site Admin

Python problem with levelator in fiesty

Post by dann » Wed May 02, 2007 2:19 pm

ok, perhaps maybe someone in here can provide an answer. I cannot run gigavox levelator in fiesty. Here is the error message that I get:

File "main.py", line 1, in <module>
import gui
zipimport.ZipImportError: can't find module 'gui'

gui is a module unzipped in the .levelator directory

Vogateer

Post by Vogateer » Wed May 02, 2007 4:49 pm

I doubt I'm the best one to answer this, but that never stops me from trying...

Python has its modules in paths listed in the sys.path() method, so in this case I would just create a symbolic link from gui module to one of the paths in python path, like "/usr/lib/python2.4" depending on what version you have.

There's probably someone here with a better way, though. You could also add the directory to sys.path, I think.

Found a post that seems to explain that:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python ... 19312.html
Vim is beautiful

riddlebox

Post by riddlebox » Thu May 03, 2007 6:38 pm

Did you get that fixed Dann? It does look like you may need to edit the code and put the path in for gui.....

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 pm

No I have not fixed it yet. Unfortunately, levelator is closed source so I cannot do much to fix it. I tried setting the path, but that did not work. All I got was a magic number error. I posted to the levelator forum and someone said they will be looking into it. I suspect the new version of python (2.6) in fiesty has some changes not compatible with levelator.

Jza

Post by Jza » Sat May 05, 2007 12:03 am

Sometimes there might be unicode issues, I will have to say that the libraries that you have on your base modules of pythons is not enough. Is the levelator open source? do you hae compiled python files or can you actually see the code.
Alexandro COLORADO

dann
Site Admin

Post by dann » Sat May 05, 2007 7:30 pm

Levelator is closed source, which is largely the problem. Followup posts to my query on the gigavox forums indicates that levelator is not compatible with Python version 2.6, which is what ships with Fiesty. Levelator was compiled with version 2.3. If they would provide the source, I am sure the problem would have been fixed by now.

hellonorman

Post by hellonorman » Sun May 06, 2007 3:14 pm

dann wrote:Levelator is closed source, which is largely the problem. Followup posts to my query on the gigavox forums indicates that levelator is not compatible with Python version 2.6, which is what ships with Fiesty. Levelator was compiled with version 2.3. If they would provide the source, I am sure the problem would have been fixed by now.
You should be able to install various versions of python side by side. You could install the last version that worked with levelator and just invoke it with the version of python desired.....python2.5 levelator instead of python levelator.

Seems like that should work. I know it works the other way. I installed python 2.5 on systems where 2.4 was default and just ran programs with the python2.5 command.

Worth a try anyway. Good luck.
"It's not a lie, if you really believe it"
--George Costanza

Jza

Post by Jza » Sun May 06, 2007 3:18 pm

you will have for example:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python2.4/

/usr/lib/python2,5/
And then create the binaries stated as python4 for 2.4 and python for 2.5
Alexandro COLORADO