What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Study group dedicated to learning how to code in the Python language.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

What GUI toolkit do you favor and why?

Tkinter
No votes
wxPython
43%
PyQt
43%
PyGTK
14%
Jython
No votes
PythonCard (based on wxPython)
No votes
Dabo
No votes
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Patrick
Site Admin

What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
Ego contemno licentia

Ryochan7

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Ryochan7 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:20 pm

For all my Python apps with a GUI, I have used PyGTK. I mainly chose it because I wanted to use an application to design the GUI interface and I preferred Glade over Qt Designer at that time. I have taken a look at Qt 4 Designer and I like it more than the old Qt Designer so I might have to try PyQt out sometime. If I were focused on making a cross-platform application, I would probably choose to use wxPython.
Linux User #357977
LUGOP is awesome

walter_mellon

Post by walter_mellon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 pm

wxPython seems to be the Python widget set of choice lately. You can get your feet wet doing quick and dirty Guis using Python Card; for more serious work, take a flying leap at WxPython in Action (Manning) by Noel Rappin and Robin Dunn. This is a thorough book which shows you how to create GUIs using PyCrust. Highly recommended. (Hint: show topic!)

allix

Post by allix » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:13 am

Tk seems to be back on the forefront .
http://osnews.com/story/20181/Tcl_Tk_Gets_Makeover
Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т
Working as a team produces better results
Russian Proverb

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 am

walter_mellon wrote:wxPython seems to be the Python widget set of choice lately. You can get your feet wet doing quick and dirty Guis using Python Card; for more serious work, take a flying leap at WxPython in Action (Manning) by Noel Rappin and Robin Dunn. This is a thorough book which shows you how to create GUIs using PyCrust. Highly recommended. (Hint: show topic!)
Got the book and sent an email to the author of PyCrust.
Thanks
Ego contemno licentia

sulfide

Post by sulfide » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Patrick wrote:Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm

sulfide wrote:
Patrick wrote:Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
I agree, and the thing is, you can absolutely make money off of the free version of Qt. Heck, that's what every commercial GNU/Linux distribution does if they include Qt and KDE. "The freedom to sell copies is part of the essential freedom, if you're not allowed to sell copies it's not free software" - Richard Stallman.

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:08 pm

sulfide wrote:What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
You explained the issue yourself. I'm not knocking it just making people aware of it. Nokia & Trolltech do a lot of good for the open source community.
Ego contemno licentia

sulfide

Post by sulfide » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Patrick wrote:
sulfide wrote:What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
You explained the issue yourself. I'm not knocking it just making people aware of it. Nokia & Trolltech do a lot of good for the open source community.

What I explained is the issue? Which part exactly, where if you want to write commercial software you must buy a commercial license? Also, what are you making people aware of? In fact, it's an advantage most GPL only software doesn't have. Or are you trying to say that since it is a library the "issue" is it's licensed as GPL and not L-GPL or some wxWidgets type license. Just asking for some clarity on the somewhat vague opening post, which seems to instill somewhat negative connotation toward using PyQT or QT without giving any solid reason. :?

Tsuroerusu: Glad to see you agree, and you get points for being captain obvious :P

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:30 pm

sulfide wrote:Just asking for some clarity on the somewhat vague opening post, which seems to instill somewhat negative connotation toward using PyQT or QT without giving any solid reason. :?
The issue is that you have to pay money if you're developing commercial software using Qt. I'm not criticizing it just acknowledging it. Is that clear enough for you now?
Ego contemno licentia

Tsuroerusu

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 am

sulfide wrote:Tsuroerusu: Glad to see you agree,
:D
sulfide wrote:and you get points for being captain obvious :P
It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it! :wink:

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

Patrick
Site Admin

Post by Patrick » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 am

I'm working on an application for my job and wanted to prototype it using both pyqt and wxpython. I'm on the first version that uses pyqt. I created a gui using QtDesigner. I have to admit qt4 looks very nice. I contacted Trolltech regarding a commercial license since this would be used for a non F/OSS application. The prices for a single developer license:
$3,695 for one platform
$5,295 for multi-platfrom
You also have to purchase a pyqt license for $515

A little steep IMHO. I'm thinking of writing a GPL licensed GUI frontend for dgen (Sega Genesis emulator). In that case Qt is free to use without cost.
Ego contemno licentia

walter_mellon

Post by walter_mellon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm

That is pretty steep. I would be interested to know if, in your opinion, there enough difference in appearance to justify paying the cost, even if your employer is picking up the tab. Also, have you noticed any performance difference between the toolkits?