What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Study group dedicated to learning how to code in the Python language.

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Post Reply

What GUI toolkit do you favor and why?

Tkinter
0
No votes
wxPython
3
43%
PyQt
3
43%
PyGTK
1
14%
Jython
0
No votes
PythonCard (based on wxPython)
0
No votes
Dabo
0
No votes
Other (please specify)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
Patrick
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
Ego contemno licentia

User avatar
Ryochan7
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:18 pm
Location: Peoria, IL
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Ryochan7 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:20 pm

For all my Python apps with a GUI, I have used PyGTK. I mainly chose it because I wanted to use an application to design the GUI interface and I preferred Glade over Qt Designer at that time. I have taken a look at Qt 4 Designer and I like it more than the old Qt Designer so I might have to try PyQt out sometime. If I were focused on making a cross-platform application, I would probably choose to use wxPython.
Linux User #357977
LUGOP is awesome

User avatar
walter_mellon
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis. IN

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by walter_mellon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 pm

wxPython seems to be the Python widget set of choice lately. You can get your feet wet doing quick and dirty Guis using Python Card; for more serious work, take a flying leap at WxPython in Action (Manning) by Noel Rappin and Robin Dunn. This is a thorough book which shows you how to create GUIs using PyCrust. Highly recommended. (Hint: show topic!)

User avatar
allix
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by allix » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:13 am

Tk seems to be back on the forefront .
http://osnews.com/story/20181/Tcl_Tk_Gets_Makeover
Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т
Working as a team produces better results
Russian Proverb

User avatar
Patrick
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 am

walter_mellon wrote:wxPython seems to be the Python widget set of choice lately. You can get your feet wet doing quick and dirty Guis using Python Card; for more serious work, take a flying leap at WxPython in Action (Manning) by Noel Rappin and Robin Dunn. This is a thorough book which shows you how to create GUIs using PyCrust. Highly recommended. (Hint: show topic!)
Got the book and sent an email to the author of PyCrust.
Thanks
Ego contemno licentia

sulfide
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by sulfide » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Patrick wrote:Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?

Tsuroerusu
Posts: 2551
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm

sulfide wrote:
Patrick wrote:Been researching which GUI toolkit to use in an upcoming project. I'm favoring wxPython(wxwidgets) because it's very cross platform. PyQt looks nice but it has the same licensing issues as Qt in general.
What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
I agree, and the thing is, you can absolutely make money off of the free version of Qt. Heck, that's what every commercial GNU/Linux distribution does if they include Qt and KDE. "The freedom to sell copies is part of the essential freedom, if you're not allowed to sell copies it's not free software" - Richard Stallman.
Image
Image

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

User avatar
Patrick
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:08 pm

sulfide wrote:What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
You explained the issue yourself. I'm not knocking it just making people aware of it. Nokia & Trolltech do a lot of good for the open source community.
Ego contemno licentia

sulfide
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by sulfide » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Patrick wrote:
sulfide wrote:What licensing issue is that? GPL to write freesoftware, commercial if you write commercial software, sounds fair to me! Especially considering the amount of work that goes into QT, they gotta make a living somehow and it only seems fair they make a living if you intend to do the same off their library. So what licensing "issue" is this again?
You explained the issue yourself. I'm not knocking it just making people aware of it. Nokia & Trolltech do a lot of good for the open source community.

What I explained is the issue? Which part exactly, where if you want to write commercial software you must buy a commercial license? Also, what are you making people aware of? In fact, it's an advantage most GPL only software doesn't have. Or are you trying to say that since it is a library the "issue" is it's licensed as GPL and not L-GPL or some wxWidgets type license. Just asking for some clarity on the somewhat vague opening post, which seems to instill somewhat negative connotation toward using PyQT or QT without giving any solid reason. :?

Tsuroerusu: Glad to see you agree, and you get points for being captain obvious :P

User avatar
Patrick
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:30 pm

sulfide wrote:Just asking for some clarity on the somewhat vague opening post, which seems to instill somewhat negative connotation toward using PyQT or QT without giving any solid reason. :?
The issue is that you have to pay money if you're developing commercial software using Qt. I'm not criticizing it just acknowledging it. Is that clear enough for you now?
Ego contemno licentia

Tsuroerusu
Posts: 2551
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Tsuroerusu » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 am

sulfide wrote:Tsuroerusu: Glad to see you agree,
:D
sulfide wrote:and you get points for being captain obvious :P
It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it! :wink:
Image
Image

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule."
- Siddhattha Gotama (Buddha), founder of Buddhism.

User avatar
Patrick
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by Patrick » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 am

I'm working on an application for my job and wanted to prototype it using both pyqt and wxpython. I'm on the first version that uses pyqt. I created a gui using QtDesigner. I have to admit qt4 looks very nice. I contacted Trolltech regarding a commercial license since this would be used for a non F/OSS application. The prices for a single developer license:
$3,695 for one platform
$5,295 for multi-platfrom
You also have to purchase a pyqt license for $515

A little steep IMHO. I'm thinking of writing a GPL licensed GUI frontend for dgen (Sega Genesis emulator). In that case Qt is free to use without cost.
Ego contemno licentia

User avatar
walter_mellon
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis. IN

Re: What GUI toolkits do you favor for your Python applications?

Post by walter_mellon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm

That is pretty steep. I would be interested to know if, in your opinion, there enough difference in appearance to justify paying the cost, even if your employer is picking up the tab. Also, have you noticed any performance difference between the toolkits?

Post Reply