Christopher Columbus - I never learned this in school

Want to sound off, piss off or otherwise be an ass. Want to discuss non-tech and non-linux related things? This is the forum for you. Be advised, there is little moderation here and you must come with a thick skin! It's all in good fun!

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

greggh

Christopher Columbus - I never learned this in school

Post by greggh » Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KTgMALmY5A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
During his second voyage, Columbus and his men instituted a policy in Hispaniola which has been referred to by numerous historians as genocide.[citation needed] The native Taino people of the island were systematically enslaved and murdered. Hundreds were rounded up and shipped to Europe to be sold; many died en route. For the rest of the population, Columbus demanded that all Taino under his control should bring the Spaniards gold. Those that didn't were to have their hands cut off. Since there was, in fact, little gold to be had, the Taino fled, and the Spaniards hunted them down and killed them. The Taino tried to mount a resistance, but the Spanish weaponry was superior, and European diseases ravaged their population. In despair, the Taino engaged in mass suicide, even killing their own children to save them from the Spaniards. Within two years, half of what may have been 250,000 Taino were dead. The remainder were taken as slaves and set to work on plantations, where the mortality rate was very high. By 1550, 60 years after Columbus landed, only a few hundred Taino were left on their island. In another hundred years, perhaps only a handful remained.
What kind of depraved culture would venerate and celebrate this genocidal mass murderer with a national holiday?

eddie

Re: Christopher Columbus - I never learned this in school

Post by eddie » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/caribarch/columbus.htm

Well Chris died of VD, so he had his own comeuppance. Most of the people on those ships were Spaniards and not Italians. Remember that America was named after Amerigo Vespucci and not Chris. Also Chris was acting under orders from Spain and that the any terrible acts were the typical modis operandi of all exployers of that time. Come to think of it that similar types of things happened with the ship that landed at Plymouth Rock. Tell me that the white man did not eventually destroy the American Indian nations. Following your logic, we should not celebrate Thanksgiving either. Columbus day holiday has been disabled in most places for a Black American Holiday. If it were not for Chris most black people might have never made it to this country. So for there to be a Black American holiday insteal of celebrating Columbus day is an insult to every Italian American including me.

greggh

Post by greggh » Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 am

eddie wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/caribarch/columbus.htm

Well Chris died of VD, so he had his own comeuppance. Most of the people on those ships were Spaniards and not Italians. Remember that America was named after Amerigo Vespucci and not Chris. Also Chris was acting under orders from Spain and that the any terrible acts were the typical modis operandi of all exployers of that time.
I think for some reason you think I was referring to Italian culture, where I wrote "culture". I was not. Nothing in my post says anything about "Italian". I was referring to US culture.
Come to think of it that similar types of things happened with the ship that landed at Plymouth Rock. Tell me that the white man did not eventually destroy the American Indian nations. Following your logic, we should not celebrate Thanksgiving either.
Nope. I don't know who's logic you would be following there. But it's certainly not mine. The Thanksgiving holiday does not recall a time in which Pilgrims set out to mass murder the Native Americans. The two are not comparable in the slightest.
Columbus day holiday has been disabled in most places for a Black American Holiday. If it were not for Chris most black people might have never made it to this country. So for there to be a Black American holiday insteal of celebrating Columbus day is an insult to every Italian American including me.
You're reasoning and justifications here are bizarre.

eddie

Post by eddie » Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 am

Most italian Americans do think of Columbus day as theirs as a part of Italian heritage whether you do or not. When MLK day for a holiday was created, Columbus day was eliminated as a holiday to make up for it. There was almost riots where I lived at that time. In some places the KKK membership dramatically increased after that event. I know the feds may still honor that holiday, but that is not true for local educational institutions and other governmental entities. The descendents from those early settlers and the early settlers themselves did in fact do such carnage. It is just not documented as much as it could or should be. How convenient. On a rare occasion there is method to my madness.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA » Wed May 20, 2009 8:12 am

What on earth is going on here? This topic is insane. Anyway, the white man are still killing native Americans. All natives are the enemy of the establishment because they have the true rights to the land. :)

greggh

Post by greggh » Wed May 20, 2009 8:23 am

MattKingUSA wrote:What on earth is going on here? This topic is insane.
"Anything Goes" :D

eddie

Post by eddie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 am

Here we do down the slippery slope. You must be French. Are you or are you not? There is a old saying based in folklore that the French caused the startup of organized group for vendetta purposes when a Frenchman allegedly raped an Italian woman. So every Italian said "(M)orte (a)lla (F)rancia (I)talia (a)nela". The end to all Frenchmen is Italy's cry. Every Italian has been discriminated against because of it since.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

Yo I'm French. :) Viva Italia!

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Columbus doesn't deserve a holiday. He was about 700 years too late. We should have a Leif Erikson day! :D
Insufficient Data For Meaningful Answer

eddie

Post by eddie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:58 am

If you are going to open that door, think about a holiday for the American Indian. They certainly deserve one more that the Black community.