Commodore makes a return

Want to sound off, piss off or otherwise be an ass. Want to discuss non-tech and non-linux related things? This is the forum for you. Be advised, there is little moderation here and you must come with a thick skin! It's all in good fun!

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

NYbill

Commodore makes a return

Post by NYbill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:00 pm

you should find this interesting Pat. we are both fans of good'ol Commodore. any other VIC20, C64, Amiga guys on the board?

there is a new Commodore system coming out! and its running Ubuntu! now if i can just figure out how to get my 5 1/4 floppies into it. :wink:

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/comm ... -20100319/

eddie

Re: Commodore makes a return

Post by eddie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm

NYbill

Post by NYbill » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm

about a year ago i was doing just that, eddie. solder and C64's. :wink: i pulled out an old 1541 drive, made an adapter to hook it to my Linux box (there are schematics online), and pulled some old programs off 5 1/4 floppies. :D a fun project, and quite nostalgic.
Attachments
c64_adapt.JPG
c64_adapt.JPG (55.99 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
space_taxi.jpg
space_taxi.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 6509 times

eddie

Post by eddie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Coo!!! I have a soldering iron on my desk too. Even have a heat gun to extract reusable parts off of dead and or obsolete systems. My brother wanted to put a pc in an old 64 case and asked me for one. I told him I dumped that stuff a long time ago. Back then a small apartment could only hold so many toys. If that is all I had to work with, I could use a c=64 and code on it without a problem. Made a bit of money coding on it. In fact, I worked for a contractor that did business some of the major software houses. The nda's probably do not matter now. Who knows, EA might balk.. Anyway. I figured you might be tongue in cheeking it. But someone else might want to know. Ironically. Office depot was selling external double speed usb 3.5 inch floppy drives for four bucks (i bought one). Looks like they have had their day too.

Junk raiders rule!