Dollars for Dev and Android Love

Want to sound off, piss off or otherwise be an ass. Want to discuss non-tech and non-linux related things? This is the forum for you. Be advised, there is little moderation here and you must come with a thick skin! It's all in good fun!

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

Will FOSS software dev be even more important in the expanding mobile device world?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Maybe
No votes
That's Classified
No votes

Total votes: 2

akuma624

Dollars for Dev and Android Love

Post by akuma624 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm

So first things first. Linux is an amazing software stack for reasons that are just plain obvious. One thing that I keep thinking about though is how the mobile device world is so different from how FOSS was being used and able to expand five-ten years ago. So here is the main issue - Does handset/carrier hardware restrict even Android development enough to where we are only going to see "marketplace" driven apps being the majority? How will quality FOSS apps gain in this new space? I just ordered a new Verizon Incredible and here is the math that I used to justify it:

Cost of the handset + service + insurance for 2 years: ~2K

Cost of a regular 2 year contract for just voice and a free cheap mobile phone: ~1K

Cost of the my last handheld device (N810): ~ $400

So when I look at the cost break down this way the remaining costs after subtracting handset and voice charges is roughly $600. What do I get for that? Two full years of mobile broadband anywhere in the country. Verizon would charge $1400 for just the mobile broadband alone so it works for me.

So the interesting thing here is this: what happens when the devices and services are expanding just like the use of cell phones?
Last edited by akuma624 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddie

Re: Dollars for Dev and Android Love

Post by eddie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 pm

You may want to rephrase your question. Are you asking will the os be crippled OR are you asking will it be more important.

akuma624

Re: Dollars for Dev and Android Love

Post by akuma624 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks Eddie ... updated the poll