iPhone App

Want to sound off, piss off or otherwise be an ass. Want to discuss non-tech and non-linux related things? This is the forum for you. Be advised, there is little moderation here and you must come with a thick skin! It's all in good fun!

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann

jelkimantis

iPhone App

Post by jelkimantis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm

So I wrote an iPhone app. I can only compare this to web-based software, but seriously, iPhone SDK is annoying. If you don't already know, it's based on Objective-C with apple's libraries sitting on top. At first blush, it's pretty neat, I mean, if you want to recognize touches, you just tell it to do that. No fiddling or whatnot. The problem comes in that objective-C is an ancient language. It commits the sin (in my world) of calling itself objective, but acting very procedural. Sure you can create "objects," but if you try to create an object from a method that is declared in the next method, it gets very grumpy very fast. Gar.

Anyway, I grumble because there doesn't seem to be a good mobile platform for developers. You're either running Java, Objective-C or something microsoft created.

All this to say, I need an openmoko phone.

jsl

Patrick
Site Admin

Re: iPhone App

Post by Patrick » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:29 pm

jelkimantis wrote: All this to say, I need an openmoko phone.
Openmoko is dead. Love live Android!!
Ego contemno licentia

jelkimantis

Post by jelkimantis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 am

That's what I'm working on next. I was so annoyed with the @____@'ing objective-C that we are building a web-app. But your'e right, writing web apps for iPhone is doable.

Pat -- no... just... no.

eddie

Post by eddie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:25 pm

I do not develop for the iphone, but web apps are not just for the iphone, I will frequently use web based apps to put on our private web server. Saves installing software on every machine. Sourceforge.net is my friend. I have found so much free stuff to play with in addition to the javascript snippets I borrow legally (aka cut and paste) from the web. Being able to "view source" of web pages such a nice feature of a web browser.